Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Is this wrong?

So I got a dry aged prime bone-in strip for myself and decided to buy a choice bone-in strip for the wife. I mean he only had one prime strip left and why should we both suffer, right? The other little piece is a small cut of boneless short rib he gave me to try on the grill.
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,134
    Works for me. Did you tell her? Are you able to answer this? If so, all worked out.......
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,648
    Lovely marbling.  So not wrong.

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,074
    Just make sure SWMBO doesn't see an itemized bill or you will be buying more than steaks :)
    Louisville
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Just ask her which one she wants, you will win one way or the other.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    "Honey, would you like this dry steak (leave) out a few words (aged, prime) or this beautiful steak of choice?"
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519
    edited March 2013

idevl, I think there is guilt involved leading to the post. Hmmmmmm

Now go have a double of that single malt and get on with cooking. After its all eaten, you have nothing to talk about.

:D

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 2,207
    My father once explained to me the philosophy of splitting something (say, like a candy bar) with a friend.  First, you cut the bar in half doing the best you can.  Now, invariably, one side will be a little bit bigger than the other.  But you offer your friend the choice.  If he's a good friend, he'll see you did the best you could and select the slightly smaller half.

I'm not sure how any of that applies here, but take it for what it's worth.
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,968
    IrishDevl said:
    "Honey, would you like this dry steak (leave) out a few words (aged, prime) or this beautiful steak of choice?"
    "Honey, the darker-looking one is a little rotten. So am I, but I am a Devil after all. Take it for what it's worth"

This should cover you either way.
    ·

IrishDevl said:

"Honey, the darker-looking one is a little rotten. So am I, but I am a Devil after all. Take it for what it's worth"

IrishDevl said:

I like it.
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Just split them both to do a side by side taste test. Win win.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,013
    I'd love to hear your taste test results.  I wonder if there really is a difference???
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
    thetrim said:
    I'd love to hear your taste test results.  I wonder if there really is a difference???
    I will let you know. Definitely a bit more marbling in the prime and you could see it.  My butcher nearly always points me at his choice and they are delicious, no it sure I have ever bought a prime NY strip off him. Can't recall, will post results and get the misses opinion as well. 
    ·
  • J_QueJ_Que Posts: 203
    What she don't know won't hurt her.
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,014
    Not wrong at all!  I guess you could go halfsies with the two steaks...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Does she read this forum? You may be screwed
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,631
    Prime vs Choice... I've had choice steaks that were right up there with any prime I paid for out. I think it has to do with the individual cow and how well you nail the cook, more so than the FDA grade

You'll enjoy it no matter which one you end up with :)
    ·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Cook the prime rare and the choice to medium well. Should make life easier for you!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,271
    You're just shielding her from all that extra fat, right. Who wants all that extra fat running through their steak anyway? Enjoy with a clear conscience.
    ·
    Verdict in, both cooked to perfect medium rare. The prime was more tender, but the choice was like butter. Both had an unbelievable flavor and the prime cost $9 per pound more. So, choice wins by a landslide and my butcher is always pushing this on me anyway. I love my butcher.
    ·
    Also, that piece of short rib was a winner and my kids ate every bit of it.
    ·