Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about steak

So I know here Trex, or reverse, is most popular. And I'm of opinion that grilled is way to go. But was talking to a buddy, and I see online everywhere, about people cooking in oven or a pan. Kinda like Ruth's Chris. What is everyone opinion on oven v grill? Pro/con, etc.
Boom

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if im not egging the steak, i have good luck trexing in the oven and stove top, one good thing about it is the sauces you can get from the searing pan. when the steak is roasting make the mushroom sauce in the pan you seared in. you cant get the stove top hot enough like the egg so dry the steak off just before searing and i salt the pan before the steak goes in
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    My Bone in Ribeye's are always done 2.5 minutes on one side flipped over and 2.5 minutes on the other side at 550 degrees with steak seasoning on both sides. Then it is time to eat.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    if im not egging the steak, i have good luck trexing in the oven and stove top, one good thing about it is the sauces you can get from the searing pan. when the steak is roasting make the mushroom sauce in the pan you seared in. you cant get the stove top hot enough like the egg so dry the steak off just before searing and i salt the pan before the steak goes in
    +1

Searing in a SS pan or on CI provides a different type of crust than grilling. You get different flavors from each. Pan-searing will give you a more uniform crust do to the uniform conduction of the pan surface as opposed to the grid and hot air.(Grill marks are darker than the surrounding meat). On the egg, you get the char-grilled flavor that isn't possible on the stove. Pan-searing leaves a fond in the pan that makes a wonderful pan sauce and you can do more with flavorings beyond rub or compound butter. Steak au poivre is one of my favorites.

However, I don't have a thousand degree infrared burner or enough BTU's pumping out of my stove to replicate the sear I can get with the heat of the egg. Plus, the house doesn't fill with smoke. Egg FTW.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Is it Ruth Chris that cook steaks in butter?
  • Eggcelsior
    IrishDevl said:
    They're not "cooked" in butter. They us a Vulcan infrared broiler that gets to nearly 2000 degrees. They sear both sides then rest it. Lastly the stick it on a really hot plate and squirt on garlic butter that sizzles around the steak.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    So I've never had a pan steak. 1) should I bother if I love my egg steak 2) if you could only eat one style which would it be?
    Boom
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I would go with egg steak anyday over pan.
  • FanOfFanboys
    And to add, if you think I should try should I do myself or go to a place like Ruth's Chris that specializes in that style?
    Boom
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Am I the only one that routinely uses my CI pan on the Egg itself? 

I get the best of both worlds this way: great heat conductance for a uniform hard char and retention of juices from the pan and smoky super high heat from the Egg.

Is there any reason not to use a CI pan on the egg? 

Cheers all -
    B_B 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • FanOfFanboys
    I use my cast iron, but not for steak
    Boom
  • Eggcelsior
    Am I the only one that routinely uses my CI pan on the Egg itself? 

I get the best of both worlds this way: great heat conductance for a uniform hard char and retention of juices from the pan and smoky super high heat from the Egg.

Is there any reason not to use a CI pan on the egg? 

Cheers all -
    B_B 
    At searing temps, you could burn off the seasoning. Otherwise, go for it.
  • Eggcelsior
    And to add, if you think I should try should I do myself or go to a place like Ruth's Chris that specializes in that style?
    You can cook 2 or 3 steaks for the price of 1 at Ruth's Chris. If you do it yourself, get the pan smoking hot with a little veggie oil(literally, the oil should be smoking). Sear for 60-90 seconds until the meat releases from the pan. Flip it to the other part of the pan that is still hot and do the same thing. Check temp and stick the whole thing in the oven at 350 until it is at the temp you want. While is rests out of the pan, add wine or broth to deglaze, aromatics(garlic, sallots, thyme), and butter off heat. Yum.

Or just go to Ruth's Chris. They treat you well, like any good steak house should. Anything less has been ruined by the Egg for me(Chain places like Outback and such). I still enjoy a nice meal at those establishments when going out for a nice date or something. My wife loves Stoli Dolis from the Capital Grille, so we frequent that establishment the most.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    oil in the pan holds the heat back, try a light dusting of salt and when it turns brown toss on the steak, you will see the salt turn color.  heres how i do pinwheel steaks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • IrishDevl

IrishDevl said:

They're not "cooked" in butter. They us a Vulcan infrared broiler that gets to nearly 2000 degrees. They sear both sides then rest it. Lastly the stick it on a really hot plate and squirt on garlic butter that sizzles around the steak.

So is that a no?
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I lived in Texas about 25 years ago and read an article in Texas Monthly about the "right" way to cook a steak: in a screaming hot cast-iron skillet. I cooked my steaks that way even when I had a Weber. I changed only when I got the egg. 

They are really good in the CI skillet, but they aren't as good as they are off an egg with a CI grate. I would think cooking in a CI pan on the egg would prevent you from getting the "grilled" taste you get on a grate because the meat really isn't on the heat very long. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    FWIW .... I done ribeye's on the stove in a CI skillet a couple weeks back and I will never do it again. If I can't egg then I will use the dreaded gasser before I pan fry again. I know a lot of folks who like it that way but its not for me.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    edited March 2013

IrishDevl said:
    IrishDevl said:
    So is that a no?
    Yes and no. They don't actually, but they make it look like they do. It gives off that impression. I only know because I went to a fundraiser where they had a catering station so I got to ask the chef.
  • IrishDevl
    I want a Vulcan infrared broiler.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    IrishDevl said:
    Me too!
    I use my gasser side burner to heat a CI pan, find it much better than in the egg. The handle stays cooler, the result to de-glaze and get a nice sauce is the same and it is done while the steak finishes on the egg. I don't do this very often as I usually reverse sear. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • IrishDevl
    My new outdoor dream, Xl egg, Vulcan infrared, a bad a-- wok. Keepin the dream alive.
  • IrishDevl
    Xl egg dream is reality.
  • Eggcelsior
    IrishDevl said:
    Me too. And a full pizza oven in my kitchen. I might as well live in a restaurant.