Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Flat Iron Steak Sandwiches

The next day after the storm hit us pretty good we had a taste for some steak.  However, our butcher was closed that day because of the snow so we went to Whole Foods and got 1 3/4 lb Flat Iron steak and grilled it up....I dusted it with some Cow Lick Seasoning

Yep my 5 year old son thought it'd be great to photo bomb the picture so I let him :)

I got the Egg up to about 650 or so and let me tell you I really do miss my CI grates I now know I will be buying it within the month because i miss them so much!

I got the internal temp of the Flat Iron to about 140 and let it rest for 8 minutes...

WE bought some pretzel rolls as well from Whole Foods.  I sauteed up some peppers and onions, spread some garlic herb mayo on the sandwich and topped with Mozzarella Cheese

Sandwich was great, I still can't decide which seasoning I like more "Raising the Steaks" or "Cow Lick"

Comments

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,153
    Wow.  Nice effort!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
  • Yum Yum.  It's too close to lunch to be looking at this.  Looks great.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,546
    Looks really tasty. I only get leftovers....  :((
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    Interesting, it is not just me. 

When I cook flat iron steaks, it always looks more rare than flank steak at the same temp.  For example, I cook it to 130-135f for "med rare" and it looks more like rare.  That doesn't bother me at all, just something I have noticed. 

Seeing yours pulled at 140f to me it looks more like med rare. 

I'd devour one of those sandwiches right now!
    Knoxville, TN
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    I wonder if it has anything to do with how the cow ate?  This by no means is a real conclusion but I have noticed that my grass fed beef comes out rarer looking at temps that shouldn't be...
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,712
    Your boy's a trip! haha. Steak looks delicious. It's been a long time since I've grilled a flat iron.
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 2,093
    Nice work. Flat iron is the best tasting dollar for dollar out there IMO.
  • J_QueJ_Que Posts: 203
    Hailing from the city of brotherly love I give it two thumbs up!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me.