Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone prep

New guy here.

I have a new egg and have done well with it.
I would like to try pizza next.

I have a new BGE pizza stone.
Is there any prep or seasoning that should be done to the stone prior to use?

Thanks

Comments

• ptmurphy
    ptmurphy Posts: 42
    Nope, other than rinse it off with plain water to get any shipping dust, etc. off of it.

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Never use soap to clean your stone!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    First off welcome to our little obsession! 

It is ceramic like the egg so it is very porous. Just use a wet rag or flip it over next time you cook pizza and let the heat from the egg clean the bottom of it. No real need to clean it, just scrape the drippings off if it builds up, same goes for your platesetter if you use one. I would recommend getting some sort of air gap between the stone and the platesetter and can show you a picture if you want or you can use the grate. 

What size egg do you have? We can help you with a setup if you want, but be prepared for many different options, all are good in their own way so don't get discouraged. Pizza is one of my favorite things to make on the egg and I do pizza parties all the time on my large Baker's Dozen Pizza Party and taking my small to a friends house Mobile Pizza Party with the SBGE 

Get ready for some of the best pizza you have ever made! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I like to throw a little cornmeal on it before I put the pizza on it. Keeps it from sticking.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser