Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen????

Options
2»

Comments

• Dave_Matthews
    Options
    OK Dave, stop playing with it, you'll wear the battery out !!!
    Ha! You got a camera on me or something?  Yes I have been testing temperatures, and it is very accurate and fast. I think the instruction booklet 'Using Your Therapen' is great, I just breezed through it today but it seems to have a lot of good tips for cooking.  I can't wait to put it to actual use!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I just ordered a camo thermopen. Logged into FB and they said they found more. So I will have a thermopen but no egg yet. FYI I would of ordered the XL BUT our Flatpanel went out. So I ordered a 55" Sony XBR950HX that's our other hobby Home Theatre. Set me back $3100. So hopefully end of spring/summer. Until then still using a Chargriller with side smoker box. Is that a new record? Over 260 posts and I don't own a egg :) soon though
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Let me get this correct --  you bought a replacement TV  -- when you could have bought an EGG ???   And now you have a poor little thermopen just sitting there "unused" ??  Brand new - but never used?  Do you have any idea how many hours you could be sitting there watching your EGG???  Without using electricity too!!  Man, $3100 bucks ---  could have bought the EGG, and ALL the accessories and plenty of MEAT !!!!  You could smell the meat cooking -- can't do that with a TV !!!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

robnybbq said:

Does anyone know if they need to be calibrated? 

I did two cooks this week and was dissappointed in the results going off of the Thermapen readings.  Steaks cooked to 140 were raw in the middle and steaks cooked to 160 were medium rare.  Did spatchcock chicken last night and it took almost 2 hours to cook the chicken (thighs to 180) at 400 dome.  and the chicken was dry. - Over cooked IMO.

Sounds like you were measuring the outside of the meat.  Try stabbing it in the side of a steak.  You want to find the coolest reading you can, and that's your internal temp.  Don't be shy - stab it like Lizzy Borden.

If you chop at it like her, the meal presentation might suffer. At least you'll be acquitted of the charges.
  • Andymizunogolfer
    Options
    I didn't buy a thermapen although I did buy the thermoworks RT301WA. Similar to the RT600C. I have a lab thats still a pup and likes chew. I was afraid of leaving the thermapen laying on the table to see it being used as a new chew toy. I will let you guys know if its pretty decent. Might be a good back up to have in the drawer just in case you need it.
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options

OK Dave, stop playing with it, you'll wear the battery out !!!

Aaaaahahaha
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    Does anyone know if they need to be calibrated? 

I did two cooks this week and was dissappointed in the results going off of the Thermapen readings.  Steaks cooked to 140 were raw in the middle and steaks cooked to 160 were medium rare.  Did spatchcock chicken last night and it took almost 2 hours to cook the chicken (thighs to 180) at 400 dome.  and the chicken was dry. - Over cooked IMO.

Sounds like you were measuring the outside of the meat.  Try stabbing it in the side of a steak.  You want to find the coolest reading you can, and that's your internal temp.  Don't be shy - stab it like Lizzy Borden.
    If you chop at it like her, the meal presentation might suffer. At least you'll be acquitted of the charges.
    Or (unlike Lizzie) you could eat the evidence.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.