Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of lamb or boneless leg of lamb for Easter?

The Grands are going to be here in 8 more days and I'm working on my Easter menu. I always do racks of lamb with a pork wine sauce because it's my favorite. Nola made a SV boneless leg that really looked good and peaked my interest. I have never cooked a leg so my question is am I better off sticking with the racks or is a leg better, more flavorful, more tender???? Any reason I should think about switching to the leg?
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I say stick with the rack of lamb(s) and make a crown roast! Then use a salt block to do a quick sear of white asparagus at the table!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I normally do legs for party situations. Do a rack since you are comfortable with it. Go ahead with a crown roast for style like Chubbs said. That's why I do a leg. I save the rack for myself.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm here to say you should push your limits.  Do a pork wine sauce with a sous vide leg, then sear the hell out of it, make a yummy sauce.  I do some of my best cooking when I cook something the first time for a group of people.  Then again, I'm completely insane. :D  At least SWMBO thinks that, but she will agree I take culinary risks and they rarely fail.  I've just doomed myself.  Thanks, self.
    edited March 2013
    I want to come over, I've never made Lamb and only had it a couple of times, the last was at the Eiffel Tower restaurant in Vegas was a burger and was so good! But I would love to try it on the egg (nobody I cook for would even try it) I like pushing my limits and finding creative new ways to make things like @nolaegghead said. Maybe I'll find some lamb and just cook it for myself and if nobody else eats it oh well.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    Hard call.  Almost everything I have cooked sous vide has been outstanding.  I have been anxiously waiting to try Nola's resipe.  I made a "pork chops with port wine" recipe from the "SV Kitchen" and it was divine.  http://svkitchen.com/?p=5479

On the other hand.....rack of lamb is one of our favorite things.  Every time I I throw one on the Egg it is fantastic.  I did one the other night on the mini. 

It is a tough call.  Personally I would go with leg.  A carved leg is A great centerpiece for a table.  For me the leg would be the traditional Easter fare.  I personally have never been particularly fond of mint jelly but it looks wonderful on the table.

• I have not yet done a leg on the Egg (will be soon) but for my money there is not much of anything better than a good leg of lamb!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Nola, I'm not shy when it comes to trying new recipes for dinner parties, infact it's required, dinner party = new always. It's just hard to top the rack. Solson, MDSH does not eat lamb either, he will be having pork tenderloin. I always made lamb for Mom, it was her favorite and I guess I just got in the habit of chops and racks because it was just Mom and I eating the lamb. It is a hard call on leg vs rack. May just do both. Guests that are coming like to-go boxes from Granny's house. Thanks for the help. ;;)
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Granny, I want to hear more about this wine sauce. I'd stick with the racks myself
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    GrannyX4 said:
    Nola, I'm not shy when it comes to trying new recipes for dinner parties, infact it's required, dinner party = new always. It's just hard to top the rack. Solson, MDSH does not eat lamb either, he will be having pork tenderloin. I always made lamb for Mom, it was her favorite and I guess I just got in the habit of chops and racks because it was just Mom and I eating the lamb. It is a hard call on leg vs rack. May just do both. Guests that are coming like to-go boxes from Granny's house. Thanks for the help. ;;)
    Do both, that's the perfect solution!

SmokinDawg,  this was Mother's favorite sauce and I always doubled it.   It's a simple sauce but very tasty.  How could it be bad with bacon and cream?         SHHHHHH, don't tell anyone but  put a little butter in the sauce at the end. 

Port and Rosemary Sauce

2      strips        bacon, chopped
       1                    onion, chopped
       1      Tbs           rosemary, chopped
         1/2  cup           port wine
         1/4  cup           water
         1/2  cup           heavy (whipping) cream

1. Sauté bacon and add onion.  Cook over medium heat until bacon is crisp.
    Add rosemary, port and water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer
    uncovered until reduced to 1/2 cup.  Add cream and simmer, stirring until
    slightly thickened.

Nola, variety is the spice of life so it will be both.  I wasn't sure the racks could be topped but the food hot tub will be entertaining and then onto the egg.  This will be my first SV for company.  I'm going to follow you instructions. 

;;)
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Rack of lamb. Me likey.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I cooked a boneless leg of lamb today.  Not SVed just stuffed with garlic, pistachios. honey, mustard, and rosemary and I didn't care for it.  The flavor was good but the texture just can't compare to a rack.  I don't know if I got a bad piece of meat or if this is normal.  So I think I will stick with the racks and tenderloins.  Thanks for your help.  

;;)