Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Reverse sear pork chops on the Mini

R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
I found some nice boneless pork chops (about 1 1/4" thick and 1/2 lb+ each) that I seasoned with some Simply Marvelous Sweet & Spicy rub and cooked indirect on the Mini until they reached an internal temp around 115-118. I pulled them off the Mini for a few minutes while the Egg & CI got nice and hot: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Then put them onto the CI for a sear: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Pulled them at an IT of 145 and enjoyed after a few minutes rest: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Thx for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
Bay Area, CA
·

Comments

• Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    Those look great! I never was a big pork chop fan until I got the egg now I love them. Love the sear marks!  =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Those look amazing!!!

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • WOW!  I should have my CI grid for my mini next week and I can't wait to follow your lead! 

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • Wow, the things you do with those Eggs!

Kudos to the Chef.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,560
    Nice, the ci puts the nice touch on. Will try these.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,089
    Exactly why I am getting a mini. Thanks for posting and Bravo!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    Solson005 said:
    Those look great! I never was a big pork chop fan until I got the egg now I love them. Love the sear marks!  =P~

Was it the same reason I never would eat them? Mom thought them done at 200 so she cooked them to 250.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    R2 you nailed those.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 845
    Fantastic. Will pick some up this weekend. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for all the kind words folks!

Solson005 said:

Was it the same reason I never would eat them? Mom thought them done at 200 so she cooked them to 250.

Admittedly I over cooked pork chops for years until the USDA lowered the minimum recommended temp in 2011. Pork seems so much leaner now than 25-30 years ago so I always figured it was dry because so much fat had been bred out of the pigs. #-o
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,032
    Chubbs said:
    Exactly why I am getting a mini. Thanks for posting and Bravo!
    getting a mini or talking about getting a mini which one is it  ;))

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • WiltOnTiltWiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Those look incredible!
    ·
  • SookieSookie Posts: 183
    This I have to try!!  I usually use Dale's Steak Seasoning on my big chops.  Those look amazing. 
    ·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    Those are some of the best looking chops I've ever layed eyes on! @-)
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Very nice!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • BBQJDUBBBQJDUB Posts: 43
    Those things look amazing!  I have some chops tonight.  If there anywhere near that, I'll be happy!  
    BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,791
    Those are some good lookin chops. Makes me miss Iowa. I love the SM Sweet & Spicy on pork too!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 402

A perfectly cooked pork chop is tough to beat.  I've never considered a reverse sear, but after seeing this I definitely will.  Nice job!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 419
    You have inspired me to do the same on my Mini. May use Raging River seasoning.  Wow, they look so good.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • TixunauTixunau Posts: 71

wow. very nice!!

Good job!

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,367
    Fred is not gonna like this!  ...but the chops do look great! ;)

I say this is a valid necro bump, because @Chubbs now has a mini with which to sear some chops.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • finsterfinster Posts: 131
    Gotta try that reverse sear again.  Didn't give myself enough time last round and had to crank heat halfway through.  Chops look great.
    MBGE in Charleston

·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    great looking chops. gives me motivation to try those.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,560
    Paging Fred..... In 3....2...1

Jk
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,611
    I am with Mickey and Solson never a fan until I got an egg, no more dried out pork chops!

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·