Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walmart pan

Well, it's not really a pan, called a pizza plate. It's aluminum, I think, was getting some foil pans for drip pans this weekend and saw this. Was 98¢ so I'm see how many cooks it will last. It actually says it was a 3 year warrenty, i dout they were thinking about it going in a 500• fire oven. I love bacon cheese hashbrowns and have some planned for Saturday and will use this. It's 12'' an fits beautifully in the small. My wife said it was cheap and won't last, so I'm count the cooks I get out of it!!

I'm always interested in seeing neat cheap ideas so thought i would share this one.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 

Comments

• Wrap it  in foil...it could last quite a while.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I would not be comfortable with aluminum in the Egg. But that's just me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @mickey
    What you thinking?

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    @mickey What you thinking?

Thin alum, high heat just can't be good. I can't think of anything aluminum being used in Eggs. Hay, I can be wrong as hell on this.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @Mickey, what about cheap stainless steel cookware? There's a set at a store I frequent that's 22 bucks. A skillet and a few sauce pans.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    That's what I figured you were thinking. Never came to my mind. Thanks for the heads up!

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    That's what I figured you were thinking. Never came to my mind. Thanks for the heads up!

What do you think? You come from a hard science background. ......... @Scottborasjr IMO ( not based on anything) I would use the cheap SS in an Egg.

• Scottborasjr
    @Mickey, I have absolutely no idea, that's why I asked.  Only thing that has been in my Egg besides food is cast iron.  Figured you might have more insight than I.
    ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited March 2013
    i put tin foil gtt pans in all the time... just a random thinking out loud. tin foil is a tad different tho... it was 1$   not worth the mess of something going wrong

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Point. I do also. But that is not over 350 and never close to fire ( raised). Had forgot that.

• MrCookingNurse
    maybe ill just add this thing to my disc golf bag then

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

i put tin foil gtt pans in all the time... just a random thinking out loud. tin foil is a tad different tho... it was 1$   not worth the mess of something going wrong

I wonder how many people got "gtt"? Nice.(I'm such a nerd)
  • MrCookingNurse
    @eggcelisor

ha i write gtt all day long!!! every time i have to write drip on here i always have to think through D---R---R-IP    so i just gave up now and forward it is going to be gtt

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    You might have to move food around on it often to prevent burning so it might be more trouble than its worth, all $0.98..  I would probably use it as high in the dome as you can but hash browns will be a good cheap way to test it out. Maybe do a small test batch and if it works go for it and still have some left to make it using something else if it doesn't. A griddle is usually heavy duty to provide even heat. Since that is a pizza pan, it is really just a cheap cookie sheet. You might have better luck baking things on the egg with it. 

I'm actually trying to find the perfect griddle for the small to make tortillas and fajitas. I imagine I'll need cast iron for the tortillas but if it works for you I'll give it a shot. The Lodge Mickey and the other mini eggers use on the mini is 9 ¼" and would be great but I'm trying to find one a tad bigger. Griswold made one but I think all the eggheads are on ebay upping the price right now. 

@Scottborasjr its fine but don't leave it unattended for long, most cheap cookware heats unevenly and makes it easy to burn things. I took my small over to a friends house last week and she only had cheap stainless pots and pans set, I just used a small saucepan and it started to burn the beans I had on the stove while I was tending to the egg. I've made stuff with it before but like not needing to worry about burning things because of uneven heat. If your trying to find cheap cookware for the egg go cast iron, check craigslist or garage sales you can find some sweet stuff cheap if you look hard enough. 

Just my thoughts. Great food can be made with cheap cookware but it takes more monitoring / work to achieve the same results using the higher quality stuff. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Wise words as always @Solson005
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    @solson005 I picked up a #8 griswold skillet at a yard sale today for $3.00 and it is seasoned and ready to use. :D

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Solson005
    Nice @shtgunal3 very jealous. I might hit up some yard sales thrift stores, I'm looking for a griddle and had to see they made one that had bailing wire on it so it would be perfect for the small egg. Of course the guy on ebay was proud of it and wanted $95 or something crazy like that. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    @solson005

what do you think of this

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    I'm thinking I will find a 20% off coupon and go get that tomorrow  :D 

Thanks! 

I use this one on my large I got it at academy and it was even on sale from the normal $12 

I will figure out a cook to tie into my eggCarten modification post. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Awesome man! Glad u liked it.

XLBGE 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Mcn, I have been using the pizza pan as a gtt pan for a few months. I wrap it in foil pretty good for quick cleanup. Set it on the bge feet on the plate setter. Works great except mine cost 3x yours.

Shhtgunal, great find at a great price. You'll never wear that thing out.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I use a 15-inch aluminum cake pan covered in AF as a drip pan. One cook got away from me and it warped, but a little hammering put it right. The surface is nothing I would want food to touch, though. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I was in a "Homegoods Store" yesterday and saw something very similar to this "pan" or "plate".  It was available in five different colors -- but i think it is ment to be used as a serving plate.  It is made of some type of light metal -- but it has a finish on it, so it is spray coated and i'm sure this might melt of give off some toxic gases???
  • MrCookingNurse
    Well I'm not giving Walmart any credit but this is made to be cook on on an oven. It has directions for pizza use

XLBGE 
  • shtgunal3
    @solson005 see if you can find one of these CI griddles. It is a Wagner Ware. I just finished seasoning it . It's about 10" without the handle . You could always cut the handle off .

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• yzzi
    shtgunal3 said:
    @solson005 see if you can find one of these CI griddles. It is a Wagner Ware. I just finished seasoning it . It's about 10" without the handle . You could always cut the handle off .
    Man, you're just gobbling up the vintage CI pieces available, aren't you? That's top on my "to buy" list but haven't been able to find one yet for a good price. What other pieces are you secretly stashing without us knowing?
    Dunedin, FL
  • shtgunal3
    I have a lot of skillets but they are mostly like 8 inch and smaller. I have muffin pans and corn stick pans. This is my only griddle though. I've been buying cast iron pieces here and there since my early twenties. I can keep an eye open if anybody needs a particular piece. I don't mind picking up something for a fellow egghead if need be.

• yzzi
    If you ever come across one of these for cheap let me know:

Dunedin, FL
  • shtgunal3
    Yeah those don't come cheap!