Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice For a Noob "EggFest" Cook

Options

I'm going to cook at @Owossoegger 's event on June 15th in Owosso Michigan.  Join us if you can!  It's NOT an Eggfest, but I believe there will be stuff from the BGE rep and at least for me there's no difference.  I'm not sure how many cooks & Eggs there will be because it's kind of early yet.  We are cooking at the farmers market.  I'm bringing my whole fleet (large, small & mini) for the event because it's not an EggFest.  I have never cooked for anyone outside my friends and family, but @Mickey& @henapple have given me some real good suggestions on some dishes.  This is a demo event designed to introduce the Egg and generate interest and hopefully sales for my dealer, Kevin (Owossoegger), who is a new dealer. 

So here's my question(s) for you eggsperienced EggFest cooks:  With the demo in mind, should I limit myself to BGE Eggsessories?  I have a platesetter for my large and small, but I hardly ever cook with them.  I love cooking with my CGS equipment.  I'm not sure I can cook real well with my small without the woo.  Of course I have plenty of time to practice.

Any advice (including dish suggestions and/or recipes) is much appreciated!  Thanks!   

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Cook with what you cook well with.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    No reason to limit yourself on whose accessories you use unless someone from BGE is paying you to.  Just my two cents.  It's also just better to cook with what you know when experiencing the pressure of cooking for others for the first time.  Of course once you realize it's no different then cooking for yourself, there isn't pressure because it tastes good!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Turtle eggs, abt, tenderloin, ..quick, easy and bite size.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Owossoegger
    Options
    How are you at pizza? I'm still adjusting to the learning curve. My abt's however, I could eat everyday. We probably just need to have bacon in everything!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'd suggest you use what you're used to. Last thing you want to do is ruin a cook because you're using a set up you're unfamiliar with or changes the way you cook.

Clearly you can cook but if you need more ideas you can look up a few years of EGGtoberfest recipes at greeneggers or http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.html has some Eggfest recipes.

I like to cook a mix of some classics and some things that most attendees wouldn't think you can cook in a "BBQ" to showcase the versatility of the Egg. Think about appetizer sized items to maximize the number of servings. Bacon wrapped items are always popular. Think about the cook times and temps required and set your menu in the order that makes sense to maximize your time (in other words, don't follow a high temp pizza cook with a low temp item - nothing exciting about watching an Egg cool down ;) )

Try not to do so much that you don't have time to chat with the attendees as they'll ask you for tips & recipes. Also try to enjoy yourself and exchange food with other cooks. Have fun!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA