Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill dome?

What is the deal with this company? Just curious. Everything I have seen so far is always "Better than the Green Egg" slogan. I am seeing tons of things about how their finsh peels. I also read a guy posting one on craigslist for sale and of course it had the "better than an egg" in the listing. Then he went on to say he had it 4 years and replaced the firebox and paint peeling. I understand you want to push your product. Although if you're going to go after the top dog. You had better have the quality at a very high standard.

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Wow. talk about deja vu.. Even their forum has identical set-up and look, must use same developer.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• cdees_1993
    cdees_1993 Posts: 135
    I have both and they are similar.  However, the egg seems to beat it in the durability department for sure.  They cook very similar for sure.  You just have to be a little more delicate with the grill dome.  It is a great second grill especially with the large egg small grill dome combo.

• nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    I bought my large BGE & Nest for less than what the Grill Dome is going for on their website. I did quite a bit of research on kamado smokers before deciding on a BGE. So far I still feel like I made the right decision. You can tell immediately that they are made very well.

However, I bought the Grill Dome cover. Fits perfectly, egg stays dry, and saved about $60.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Most of what i truly see are manu owners bragging about "their" product.  It's like people arguing about the "Ford and the Chevy"!  The product does what it is designed to do.  Are there problems with the design -- YES !   Hopefully the manufacturer backs up their "lifetime warentee"!!!  And the consumers honestly claim only REAL warentee items too.  And face facts, the egg can be misused, it is not indestructable!!  My opinion was quickly turned bad when my gasket burnt up in three months of normal use -- not even a pizza cook!!!   And knowing there is a way to correct it for a few dollars more???  When you spend a lot of money on ANY product, the average consumer would gladly pay the extra five bucks for a gasket that will preform thoughout the cooks the manufacturer advertises.. 
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    odie91 said:
    What is the deal with this company? Just curious. Everything I have seen so far is always "Better than the Green Egg" slogan. I am seeing tons of things about how their finsh peels. I also read a guy posting one on craigslist for sale and of course it had the "better than an egg" in the listing. Then he went on to say he had it 4 years and replaced the firebox and paint peeling. I understand you want to push your product. Although if you're going to go after the top dog. You had better have the quality at a very high standard.
    I would choose a Kamado Joe over the Grilldome.  Shut down procedure on Grilldome just doesn't work for me, since I have short term memory and would forget..... shut down procedure just wouldn't work for me... I have short term memory.... the shut down procedure just wouldn't work for me since I have short term memory.... 
    So, what your saying is that you have short term memory,
    =))

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Buckegg
    Buckegg Posts: 13
    I have both a large BGE and a large Grill Dome. BGE at home and GD at my cabin. Here is my 2 cents.
    I bought the Grill Dome because it was less expensive. Both units cook great. The Grill Dome is heavier, it seals well, the gasket lasts and the lid mechanism is stainless steel. The negatives of the GD are that the firebox does not hold up (replaced 3 times, finally used a BGE box), the lid mechanism requires periodic adjustment and the paint does peel a little.

The only problem I have had with the Egg is the original gasket burning up.

Either grill is great, but if I were doing it again I would get the Egg, it is worth the extra $'s.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Opinions like @Buckegg are the ones to read and heed, first hand experience with both the BGE and the GD. I have a couple of GD extended cooking grids for my MBGE, BGE doesn't make anything that works for me. Like many here, I did the research before I bought my BGE, no regrets. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I just looked at that forum. A lot of discussions about cracks and other warranty issues on the front page. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Check out the BBQ guys youtube videos. High comedy pseudo-science. Well, at least for me.
  • Hi54putty said:
    I just looked at that forum. A lot of discussions about cracks and other warranty issues on the front page. 

Exactly what I am getting at. I see everything is that brand trying to promote itself as better than an egg. Now given I have only had mine for about a year now. Although Its hard for me to see how they are better than an egg if they are having firebox issues. And then paint peel issues. I realize that the BGE does indeed take just a little work to get the lid properly seated. Although I have not seen anyone with an BGE complain on any durability issues. Looks like a few guys on this form have them and in this thread alone they have stated issues with firebox and peel.

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    nashbama said:
    I bought my large BGE & Nest for less than what the Grill Dome is going for on their website. I did quite a bit of research on kamado smokers before deciding on a BGE. So far I still feel like I made the right decision. You can tell immediately that they are made very well.

However, I bought the Grill Dome cover. Fits perfectly, egg stays dry, and saved about $60.
    Does it touch the ground when you cover it? I have my XL in a trolley. I do like the price.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • I personally prefer the green golf ball look of BGE over the smooth, painted Grill Dome (GD).

and the one made with tiles stuck all over it is really, "out there."

I've always been a bang-for-the-buck type shopper so I looked closely at GD and Bayou Classic, but considering the service life of a ceramic grill, I figured I'm going to have to live with and look at my investment for a long time.
    Gittin' there...
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

The Grill Dome is a nice grill. I had both. I never had paint issues with mine like other have but I'm sure Grill Dome would handle it. They handled any issues I had right away. I like the hinge system better and have never had a gasket issue. Mostly firebox issues.

I think any cermaic will suit someone needs be it G.D., BGE, Primo, Joe, vision.

Then again I still love using my kettle. No harm in having different grills. You can never have to many.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I would go with a primo XL or Kamodo Joe Big Joe if there were no eggs. However, I love my XL and won't be going for any other brand.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @cortguitarman

if there were no eggs... it would have to be a second mortgage on the house and a kamodo kamado for me!!!

ha yea right. i do want one of those one day, quiet wasteful and extravagant, but lets just see what happens, a whole lot cheaper than a porsche 

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Or the Kamado Joe "Iron Man" pro Joe. You have to be Tony Stark to afford one.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I was trying to explain the KK to my wife and she was like "its 5 grand", 
    but look it comes with a plate setter,
     "its 5 grand"
    but it comes with three racks and one sears
    "its 5 grand"
    but it has built in port for the digi q 
    "its 5 grand"
    but is has space technology in the tiles
    "really? cause it sure is ugly... and its still 5 grand"

XLBGE 
  • I was trying to explain the KK to my wife and she was like "its 5 grand", 

"its 5 grand"
    "its 5 grand"
    "its 5 grand"
    Wilma likes to cut to the chase. I would get the look the first mention of kk along with "No. Shut up." Its really a time saver.
    Flint, Michigan
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    I was trying to explain the KK to my wife and she was like "its 5 grand", 
     "its 5 grand"
    "its 5 grand"
    "its 5 grand"
    Wilma likes to cut to the chase. I would get the look the first mention of kk along with "No. Shut up." Its really a time saver.
    that was my sales tactic on the first egg, showed her the egg, she said no, showed her the kk, she said we will think about it, let her get a puppy got the egg.  seriously a puppy can solve all problems at this house
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    U_tarded said:
     seriously a puppy can solve all problems at this house
    "Puppies, the cause of, and solution too all problems at my house."

with apologies to Homer Simpson...
    Mamaroneck