Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This place is awesome!!

Options
From info I read here I just ordered the Rutland fire starters and a HighQ grate from Amazon. Fire starters were like $10 for 144 cubes and my wife gets free shipping( that's a sign of how much she shops amazon). The HighQ was $32. Are there any new learning curves that I need to be aware of with the HighQ?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Nicely done, I have the high-que for my small egg. Be prepared to get up to temp pretty quickly if it is a bigger egg you might want to monitor it the first time so you don't overshoot your target temp. Not a big deal on the small egg but could take awhile for a large egg to come back down. Other than that cook as normal. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have had my large for about 3yrs or so and the original grate is just about gone. It likes about 1 1/2" being broke all the way across. I walked in on my wife while amazon'n and decided to take advantage of it. @ solson - how is your lump consumption compared to original grate?

analyze adapt overcome

• Solson005
    Options
    I only have the high-que on my small and only had one or two cooks without it. I was going to get one for my large but don't have any issues with high heat or clogging the holes so I never did order it. So I don't really have a original method to compare it too. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I will let you know after a few cooks

analyze adapt overcome

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You can get rid of your wiggle rod.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The Rutland fire starters are awesome. I load the lump, place two cubes on the bottom of the firebox after cleaning out the ash if needed, light, close just the screen and I'll have a good fire going in just a few minutes.  But I also use the High Q.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Try putting the starters on top of the lump.
    Options
    sorry if this a dumb question :\"> ...but what exactly is a high q??
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    Options
    @daffy1909 it is a replacement grate that allows more airflow and does not clog like the BGE one can High-Que Stainless Fire Grate I have one for my small and it gets up to temp very quickly. Lots of eggheads say they should be mandatory for the smaller eggs. They work great on the bigger eggs as well. 
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    @solson005 thanks i have a large so ill look into one in the future!! :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.