Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Butt

Jethro
Jethro Posts: 495
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well after all I have read in the forum about beer butt chicken, we finally did a couple this weekend. Wow!!!! Those were some great birds.[p]Our friends loved them and asked if they could do them on their grill (a gasser). I told them they could, and figured I'd let them learn about the taste differences themselves.[p]One thing we couldn't help but ponder though ... If the average pre-dressed chicken way 10 lbs. and the average man way 200 lbs., then something 20 times the size of a beer can ... aw never mind.[p]Keep up the great work you've been doing here on the forum. I always look forward to all the tips and new recipes.[p]Jethro

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Jethro,[p]...a collective "OUCH" is heard amongst the crowd...[p]Cornfed
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Jethro,[p]You've gotta go for the large for starters. After a couple of cooks or so, you'll wish that Eggs came in a jumbo size since you won't believe how friendly your neighbors and family will become. [p]A second Egg is quite handy if you party or entertain alot. You'll gain extra capacity and inherit the ability to serve 2 different items each with conflicting time, temp and firespice requirements such as a grilled shrimp appetizer while your beer butt chickens are finishing or Egg baking the bread and potatos you will serve with the steaks. You'll never want to cook in the kitchen again.[p]When it's just me and the wife and perhaps a couple of friends, my small Egg is all I need. Humpty will still get the nod on the weekend or for the big jobs.[p]A warning however. The little guy is irresistable and you'll stay up nights thinking of ways to use him more.[p]K~G [p]

• KennyG
    Whoops, responded to the wrong post. Dang those constant interuptions.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    KennyG, yeh, I know what ya mean..Been developing the same bad habits with Bud Light..Yours is PBR interrupts??
    I-)

• KennyG
    Char-Woody,[p]Both are good brews and both have been known to cause mental (and other) flatulence occurances hehehe[p]K~G
  • Char-Woody
    KennyG, Must be a sign of the yeast??
    Hows da mat?? Fire tested? :-)[p]

• KennyG
    Char-Woody,[p]The mat works as advertised. I did a couple of pork tenderloins on Humpty last night. Got the big guy going with the electric starter and rested the red hot starter on the mat for cooling off after the fire was going. After eating, I ran the Egg up to about 450* and pulled a couple of live coals out and set on the mat. No problem at all. It appeared as if the starter and coals had "branded" the mat but it was just a discoloration that hosed right off. I stood by with the garden hose in hand for this testing phase.[p]K~G

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    KennyG,
    Your on your way to opening your own underwriters laboratory!! Have you seen those babies anywhere but Lowes??? Our local Lowes went belly up![p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KennyG
    Nature Boy,[p]SeeDubYa first spotted them at Lowes and told me about them. My nearest Lowes store was way across town so I first checked the Home Depot down the street - nada. Then the DIY home warehouse - ditto. I had to bite the bullet and do some driving. A little pricey at $33 but like the Egg, they work as advertised.[p]K~G

• Char-Woody
    KennyG, 33 bucks?? Wow...but worth it for the insurance. Some one said they found em in the furniture departments. Not the BBQ areas..I saw em in the BBQ stuff.
    Enjoy...C~W[p]