Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anybody used Trex or another composite material to build your table?

I live two blocks from the Chesapeake Bay and the salt air destroys things very rapidly.  We installed a pvc composit deck a couple years ago I'm pretty sure it will last forever.  Extreamly expensive, but really good stuff.  Was thinking about using it on my Egg table.  A little concerned about the possibility of it melting.  Anybody else use composite on their table?  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've seen it used for egg tables before.  Two considerations - 1.  It isn't very structurally rigid.  You might need some wood to support the bottom shelf boards.  2. I'd consider a stone insert under the egg.
    I'd also be concerned with it as a top around the egg. I'd make sure I had some good clearance.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    I have just finished building my deck out of Trex and I have two things to offer to this:

1.  Trex, as Nola has said, is not very structurally sound, so I would 100% build with wood support and maybe 'face it' with the trex.

2.  With regards to heat, after a bit of drinking one night around my fire pit, I thought it would be a good idea to see how well Trex burned.  I tossed some scraps into the pit and while they did burn like crazy, it took them quite a while to catch fire (much longer than any wood).  So I think from a heat perspective you should be good to go.  I am obviously not a contractor so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Ron
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• I constructed mine from thermally modified lumber.  Real wood, chemical free and rot/bug proof.  You have to find a dealer but it was really nice to work with. Price was a bit cheaper than the poly stuff too.  Just got on the forum and I'll try to post pics soon.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

I have a composite company down the street from me who developes products.He told me he would not recommend using because of the heat.

Now Daryl. I'm waiting for my thermally modified lumber. Need to know more from you. What type of glue did you use? I want my top and shelf to be solid glued up panels. Also what type of finish? One said to use Penofin.

Thanks ahead. If to detailed, could you PM me?

Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My lower shelf that my egg sits on is trex pvc decking. I do have a paved stone under the egg, but no problems. Pvc decking actually has a higher fire rating than wood. Look into wolf pvc decking. It is great stuff and priced better than trex. Azek has the most color variety, but is the most expensive. Ive worked with all three types. All are good.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Sure GK59.  Pics are up now on another thread by the way.  No glue it's all weather proof fasteners.  Carriage bolts and pocket screws.  I think I remember reading you could use any glue though they recommended wetting for polyurethane as the wood has little to no moisture of its own.  Drilling tends to generate more of a powder than a sawdust.  Have not decided if I want to coat with a UV inhibitor or let it go grey.

• Thanks fellas. All good information. I'll definitely consider what you guys had to say.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    These are pretty cool. 

Select outdoor kitchens makes these, but you can get sheets of the material and use woodworking tools to cut it. I don't know how much a plastic welder costs but it might be worth it if you were building a big outdoor kitchen. I will be looking into seeing how much the material costs as well. 

Each Select Outdoor Kitchen is constructed with materials of high quality and durability.
    King StarBoard ST, a High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) product originally designed for the marine industry, provides the structure and aesthetics of the cabinet. 

King StarBoard ST is notable for its high scratch resistance.  Our outdoor kitchens will not rot, break, or split apart.  They will not absorb water, like wood.  This material is approved by the FDA for food contact and by the USDA.

King StarBoard ST is a low maintenance material.  Cleaning the cabinets is simple and quick.  The cabinet resists cleaning chemicals, and will withstand repeated cleanings with a powerwasher.  Of course, a water hose and a scrub brush can also do the trick. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Central_Bama_Egger Posts: 886
    edited March 2013
    r270ba said:

2.  With regards to heat, after a bit of drinking one night around my fire pit.

This is my favorite part of anything I've read tonight. I bet it started with, "hold my beer & watch this" hahaha. At least it would have been here in Central Bama country.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Hope it didn't involve burning your cheeks!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Scott P
    Scott P Posts: 22

I have a table made from the Trex material and it is very strong and very heavy. I have a stone under my XL and a 1 inch gap between the egg and the table top. I have been using my egg for 3 years with the table and have not had an issue with heat melting anything. It is a very easy material to keep clean. Please see attached picture when the table and egg were new. After 3 years the table still looks new (after a good cleaning).

• Scott P said:

I have a table made from the Trex material and it is very strong and very heavy. I have a stone under my XL and a 1 inch gap between the egg and the table top. I have been using my egg for 3 years with the table and have not had an issue with heat melting anything. It is a very easy material to keep clean. Please see attached picture when the table and egg were new. After 3 years the table still looks new (after a good cleaning).

I don't think the pics came through.

Med & XL

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Solson005 said:
    These are pretty cool. 

Select outdoor kitchens makes these, but you can get sheets of the material and use woodworking tools to cut it. I don't know how much a plastic welder costs but it might be worth it if you were building a big outdoor kitchen. I will be looking into seeing how much the material costs as well. 

Each Select Outdoor Kitchen is constructed with materials of high quality and durability.
    King StarBoard ST, a High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) product originally designed for the marine industry, provides the structure and aesthetics of the cabinet. 

King StarBoard ST is notable for its high scratch resistance.  Our outdoor kitchens will not rot, break, or split apart.  They will not absorb water, like wood.  This material is approved by the FDA for food contact and by the USDA.

King StarBoard ST is a low maintenance material.  Cleaning the cabinets is simple and quick.  The cabinet resists cleaning chemicals, and will withstand repeated cleanings with a powerwasher.  Of course, a water hose and a scrub brush can also do the trick. 

I want one of these (The bigger one with the multiple cabinets) but they are expensive. I looked at one again this weekend and I have the itch.  I do not want a wood cabinet - weather, fire, etc.  I need to get something ASAP as I have way too many eggcessories all over the house.

Garnerville, NY
  • Scott P
    Scott P Posts: 22
    Sorry, Here is a picture of the the table and egg when it was new.
  • TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    I built this about 4 years ago.  The Trex top works fine.  The rest is pressure treated.  The egg is on blocks to bring it to the best height while offering a workable storage space.  The only con to the Trex is that it sucks up grease and stains.  I just pressure wash it every spring and it gets pretty clean ... not new clean - but good enough.  (I imagine I could stain the Trex with a clear stain and it would help.)

photo DSC00855-1.jpg

I have a tighter fit than others and have done numerous long, hot cooks and clean out burns.  I have never felt worried about the Trex melting/igniting.  I checked often after building it, and it never felt too hot to touch.  If I had the cash at the time I would have gone with a solid stone type covering.  But overall I am pretty happy with it.
    photo DSC00863.jpg

I haven't posted in forever so forgive me if these photo's don't work.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Even with a fire rating higher than that of wood, most plastics give off pretty toxic gases when burned, or maybe even if they smolder.  If you do use it, leave plenty of clearances.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure