Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg covers

Any good suggestions for a cover to protect my LBGE and nest from the elements?

Comments

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Not inexpensive but the newer version of the cover from BGE works like a charm for me in the Houston area.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • I use my old webber charcoal grill cover. 
  • Just the egg or egg and table? The table I made I didn't use any specific plans from green egg website. Mine is 33.5"D and 59"w. I used the largest cover made that home depot carries. Fits pretty good. It is the Brinkman 84" cover. Like 35 dollars at HD.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    @nolaegghead that stuff is awesome. If I was still working in construction I would put that on everything I had. 

I use the Big green egg cover and it works fine. You have to be careful if you use the ceramic topper it likes to come off when you pull the top and I had one shatter that way, the cast iron one stays in place though. 

My small egg lives in the garage. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @Solson005 that's a pretty cool carving.  One of the reasons I want a big CNC carving machine - I don't have the skill to pull it off ;)
    edited March 2013

I use the BGE product.  Had one on my small since summer '06 and the top is starting to crack just a little.  Not worth worrying about.  Large with table has had one also since '06 and it is just fine in the Florida elements.  Medium and other large without table  get a little stiff and I am just careful when removing and replaciang.  Careful around the corners of table and the hinges of the others.

If you live where there are folks that make boat cover or awnings.  See about having a custom one made with Sunbrella.  I have a swing for 6 that is by the lake and has been in direct Florida sun since '01 and and shows no sign of fading and any problems.  Little $$$$ but worth the $$$.

http://www.sunbrella.com/

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @nolaegghead it was a gift, my sisters boyfriend found it somewhere. It used to be in a Asian restaurant that didn't make it. it took about two years to find a place for it we didn't originally want to put it outside. It's mahogany I just put a bunch of spar on it and still looks great after almost two years. I refreshed everything yesterday. A cnc carving machine would be so fun to play with.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I got the one made by Two Dogs Designs for a Medium.  Good fit, excellent quality, and not so expensive.  Here's a link to one for a large:  http://www.amazon.com/Two-Dogs-Designs-Smoker-Chocolate/dp/B003B1ZP1Y/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1362627243&sr=8-12&keywords=big+green+egg+cover+medium   I assume they also have a green one in a large, as the medium I bought was green.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @nolaegghead
    Just go ahead and get the 55 gallon drum. You could cover your car, your table, your house, your pans, your shoes, your self, your pants, your dog....

It's only 10 grand

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    heh...tempting.  I'd never have to wash clothes or bathe again!
    I just bought some outdoor fabric and got SWMBO to sew it into a cover.

I'm thinking about adding a water resistant coating.  Anyone use this stuff?  It ain't cheap, but my egg setup is priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM8OR6W6WE

i know this ot but that stuff is awesome!!!! i work in home furnishings and nano technology is all the rage for mattress items (waterproof mattress pads, temp regulation, improve circulation technology) all done on the macro level.  we just got in a batch of mattress bads that are soft like sude but due to the tech on them water runs off them like they are plastic.