Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Platesetter for the Mini?!?

Has anyone seen/used this platesetter for the mini? Just wondering if it is legit? http://www.countrystoveandpatio.com/shop/big-green-egg-mini-egg-plate-setter/ Weighing the small vs mini addition to the family, and if the mini had platesetter, that changes things a bit in my mind. Thanks.
Atlanta suburbs
Large & Mini owner
UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
·

Comments

• AUWAGAUWAG Posts: 73
    My family runs a store that sells Eggs and we just did an order 2 weeks ago and I didn't see a mini plate setter. I assume it is an after market one but I'm sure someone here has used one? I have a mini personally and would love them to come out with more accessories!!!
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,140
    I it must be newish cause I've never seen it on here

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,744
    That's a new one on me but not saying it isn't legit. I know everyone that I have talked to that has a mini uses a 8 inch ceramic stone purchased from amazon with a setup from Ceramic Grill Store.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,140

That's a new one on me but not saying it isn't legit. I know everyone that I have talked to that has a mini uses a 8 inch ceramic stone purchased from amazon with a setup from Ceramic Grill Store.

Word.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,744
    Word Up
    =))
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,422
    edited March 2013
    IMO a much better buy is the stones from Amazon and the "Mini Woo" from Ceramic Grill Srore as said earlier. Then you have the platform to add a Lodge griddle from Mission Supply and a 10 Wok from the Wok Shop. Just many more ways to go. I wish I had never bought the platesetter for my Large many years ago. Just other options.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,033
    The plate setter for the mini is a new item, but, doesn't show on the BGE web site yet. It's real!!
    ·
  • rustypottsrustypotts Posts: 265
    Mickey.....is it the 9 1/4 inch griddle?  This one: http://www.missionrs.com/L70GH3.html

And are you saying a 10 inch wok?  heck I figured a little larger wok would work.

·
    edited March 2013
    Mickey.....is it the 9 1/4 inch griddle?  This one: http://www.missionrs.com/L70GH3.html

And are you saying a 10 inch wok?  heck I figured a little larger wok would work.

Correct on both. 10" is fine. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Crispix49Crispix49 Posts: 190
    @mickey how you ever done a small butt on the mini? What size butt could one fit on the mini...my guess would be 3-4 lbs?
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
    ·
    edited March 2013
    @Crispix49.......... I have not but several have. And you are right on the size. I do single spatchcocked chickens all the time. If you want to see I can post the movies with those and others that Spring Chicken has taken from the forums and put togather.

·
  • Crispix49Crispix49 Posts: 190
    @mickey ok, thanks. I've seen those videos before...I'll revisit them again.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    edited March 2013
    This was a 5 lb butt but it was like the perfect shape & barely fit.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Someone (can't remember who) squeezed a 6 lb butt in but I think they said it was touching parts of the inside of the dome.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,843
    The mini plate setter will be available in 4-6 weeks according to the retail store.
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 848
    Still think the mini woo plus stone is a better option. My raised direct setup on the large -- bricks -- wouldn't work on the mini, the mini woo is perfect.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    I love the woo / stone combo for my small egg. I actually have never cooked without my woo. I even bought it before I bought my small egg so I was ready when I did pickup the egg. 

Big Green Egg has probably seen those movies @Spring_Chicken made and posts from @R2Egg2Q @Mickey and the rest of the mini eggers and realized the mini was more useful than just a ultra portable egg to do direct cooking on. So they came up with a platesetter. 

I wish I knew about the mini egg while I was traveling for work a couple years ago, 310 days a year on the road could have been much better with the mini and I could have just left it in my trunk during the day. Even if I had to run to the butcher every day due to lack of fridge space in some of the hotels. 

I love seeing all the creative posts stuffing those little guys with food. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·