Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prices

Hi,

I have been looking for a used Egg for a year without luck, so have decided to spend the money for a new.  I m in a small town with 1 dealer, and the next dealer is about 1 hour away.  The prices fo new Eggs aren't well advertised, so I don't know if I am getting taken to the cleaners here.  What is a solid price for a L or XL?  I was quoted $900 for a large and $1250 for an XL.  I want to buy local as long as I am not being taken advantage of.

Thanks,

Pliny

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Is it a package deal or Egg only?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2013
    $900 is large egg only here in seattle local, if that helps.
    Seattle, WA
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    The first thing you need to find out is what is in the sale??  What is included, with the egg??  And what is your location, you might have an eggfest close by where you could make a great deal ??
  • Pliny
    Pliny Posts: 3
    Egg only.  Those were the prices I was given, although the dealer said he could "work with me".  I need an idea of what is reasonable before I go in.
  • Charlie tuna
    You need to talk to the dealer on a price for the items you will need to make the egg work!!  Grills.  Nest.  Plate Setter.--- etc..
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I think anything south of $800 out the door for Egg only would be reasonable.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    No way I would pay 900 for large without it being a package deal. I paid 700 for mine a few years ago and got egg, nest, mates, platesetter, ash tool, an 40 lbs of BGE lump
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Charlie tuna
    Chubbs, you got a great deal !!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    For sure. Got it in ATL. The dealer was going out of business. Lost my receipt and paperwork though. Tried a warranty claim on a firering and got denied without proof. So all evens out I guess
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cdees_1993
    cdees_1993 Posts: 135
    If $900 is for egg only you are getting ripped compared to what we get them for here in Augusta, GA.  
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Last time I heard someone trying to negotiate in the Mothership the Large package was 1064 with tax
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Cyclops42
    Cyclops42 Posts: 64
    edited March 2013
    I got a LBGE, nest, plate setter, ash tool, deep dish stone and peel and cutter, meat/grate probe, CI grid, rib/roast rack, grid lifting tools and 20 lbs of lump right at $1300 from the mothership. (Including delivery and set up)

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    You my friend are gettin taken to the cleaners.  

LBGE I've seen 650-850.  A lot of times you can catch sales or a good dealer.  Do you have any options to drive to? My dealer in town is about $100 higher on everything than a guy an hour away, plus the dealer an hour away gives me 10% off cause he knows I'll drive to him and he is rock solid great dude.  

I can't tell you anything about a XL, but I wouldn't want to pay anymore than 750 out the door for the LBGE.  Also depends if you are getting the newest stock.  Last year model should be 50-75$ cheaper than this year model. 

XLBGE 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Use the published demo prices (Salado & N GA) as a negotiating tool.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Looking at prices I got a steal in mine lucky my mom works for mohawk. Btw GA guys if you are looking I heard bargain barn in jasper has the large for 630.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2013
    I just bought my XL Demo for $800. I will pick it up at eggfest in FL next week. Just the egg no plate setter.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Only thing about using demo prices as negotiating tools is that dealers more then about 150 miles of the fest will argue that shipping prices are to blame for their higher costs. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I don't exactly think using demo prices will get you far. If he said come in and lets talk, then there is some wiggle room already.  

look at this

XLBGE 
  • Pliny said:

Egg only.  Those were the prices I was given, although the dealer said he could "work with me".  I need an idea of what is reasonable before I go in.

Paid 750 egg only
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Looking at prices I got a steal in mine lucky my mom works for mohawk. Btw GA guys if you are looking I heard bargain barn in jasper has the large for 630.

That's just wrong.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    My parent bought a large package with nest, mates, and the regular ash tool and gripper combo last thanksgiving and it was $869. It turned out a guy a grew up with owned the place and said he would give it to them for cost at $669 that was in Florida. Locally here is Georgia the average large I have priced is $799 with a nest. $900 is crazy I bought an XL from Tucker a couple months ago for $1099.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    prices in ca are different than bama, etc. fyi.
  • jbq
    jbq Posts: 25
    i got a large egg,small table,bag of lump,ash tool,platesetter,box of starters,for $1100 out the door 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado Fest next week is Large with nest and platesetter and lump /fire starters $745
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2013
    Location location location? Like real estate its where you are at. $850 local dealer and quoted 2 weeks ago $900 20 mins away for a large. It depends where he is i think. All this pre price increase....gulp
    Seattle, WA
  • Charlie tuna
    New dealer here in North Florida -- large egg, nest,plate setter,and lump   $1049.00
  • I live in Orlando, and the average price for an L BGE is $750 at the dealers I checked. I got my L for $675. They gave me 10% off eggcessories as well. Still adds up, but I feel like I got a good deal. I have an eggfest coming up soon, so I used that as excuse to ask best deal. Funny thing is, that's the same price my wife was quoted when she went in without bringing up eggfest. Good luck.
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Large, plate setter, ash tool, grill gripper, charcoal and starters last night for 795 in Dallas.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I think its the volume of sales and where they are. Dealer, I mean. If they sell a lot of eggs, then they spread the shipping costs and in the end you get a better price.

If in a small place where eggs are a novelty, then you will be SOL!

Again, for some like me, traveling to buy it from elsewhere maynot work because I cant lift anything due to spine fusion and neck injuries. So in the end it may be easier and worthile in the long run to negotiate with the local dealer and take the best price.

After the first couple of cooks you WILL NOT care how much you paid.

:x

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    I paid 750 plus tax for my "egg only".  If I was you I would research the other dealer an hour away and buy it from the dealer you are the most comfortable with. You will be much better of if you need to warranty something.   Your local guy might just be the ticket.  He said he was willing to work with you.