Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Molcajete - Mortar and Pestle?

GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
Going shopping tomorrow and I'm in the market for what I thought would be a mortar and pestle until I came across a molcajete. I don't know the difference between the two. I'm looking for something to mash garlic for vinaigrettes. Does anyone have a favorite?
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @Solson will be here shortly. Uses it on every cook I think.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    A molcajete is a Mexican mortar and pestle. It is made from basalt. They need to be broken in with dry white rice. Awesome for grinding since they have a rough surface.
  • Eggcelsior
    PS Williams Sonoma has one for 50 bucks. It's nice and deep, as some can be pretty shallow.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    @Chubbs is right I love it and use it for all sorts of things. I received it as a gift and thought it was a molcajete but now that I actually use it weekly and I talked to my father the geologist who gave it to me, it is actually Thai Granite I got the 8". This website has some really cool stuff and I picked up a Tao Charcoal Burner to have a ultra portable Wok cooking device. 

I needed to put one more coat of mineral oil on the pestle in this picture but it looks like the other one now. 

Pretty much every culture has some form of the mortar and pestle. I really like mine and as @Eggcelsior said many of the cheaper ones can be pretty shallow, mine can also be a serving bowl as you see from the picture. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • GrannyX4
    One Granite and one marble. Before I got confused I was leaning toward the granite but why would I want a marble one too? ;;)
  • GrannyX4
    Eggcelsior, I'll take a look at WS tomorrow. Thanks for clearing the fog on the differences between the two. ;;)
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    My granite ones are heavy 15 lbs, not an issue for me, but something to think about.  I think it actually helps is not slide around when grinding up things. I use it to grind pepper when I do briskets. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • GrannyX4
    Whoa! 15 pounds. That isn't the little motar and pestle I was thinking of. Thanks. ;;)
  • Solson005
    Yeah I went to put it away last night and figured it would be something to consider. Post if you end up getting one & good luck on your search!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Didn't see it mentioned above, but also look at the interior of the mortar. Some are polished smooth, others have a rough surface, usually the result of turning. Depends on what you are grinding, the rough surface will grind more effectively. 
    Personal preference, but to crush garlic, (typically with ginger) I like my glass smooth ceramic mortar. The rough granite one I save for herbs and spices. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    I have a wooden M&P known as a pilón from Puerto Rico. I bought it from a local vendor selling their wares at the Bacardi factory. It is fantastic!
  • GrannyX4
    edited March 2013
    Oh so many to choose from. I ended up with a le creuset little white mortar and pestle and I can lift it. ;;)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Didn't see it mentioned above, but also look at the interior of the mortar. Some are polished smooth, others have a rough surface, usually the result of turning. Depends on what you are grinding, the rough surface will grind more effectively. 
    Personal preference, but to crush garlic, (typically with ginger) I like my glass smooth ceramic mortar. The rough granite one I save for herbs and spices. 
    I looked at  both molcajetes and the small, smooth marble mortar & pestles; ended up with the latter.  I was more worried about how easy the molca's would be to clean, with all the rough surface that could grab onto ground spices, garlic, etc.  
    For you molca owners, how easy are they to clean?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Solson005
    Thai granite is textured but smooth the link to buy mine is in my first post, I bought a second one I like mine so much. Super easy to clean.
  • Solson005
    I have never been disappointed with anything le creuset I'm sure it will be a good fit for you!

That reminds me, they just put in a Le Creuset store at the outlet mall here in town I will have to go take a look and see if they have anything I can't live without… 
  • GrannyX4
    Outlet mall in Orlando is where we did our damage yesterday spreading the wealth. Not much in the way of deals but more the fact that I was able to touch, see, feel, and buy instead of ordering on line. Mashed a garlic clove for olive oil and I think I'm going to like my new toy. ;;)
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Ikea has a marble mortar and pestle for $15.  It has two sizes on both the bowl and grinder (inaccurate terms I know).
  • Solson005
    Glad you like it! I feel the same way with most cooking things. 

Yeah last time I was at the Le Creuset store I spent WAY too much money so I try to stay away because everything is so nice. I like their spatulas since you can just take the silicone off the wood handle and throw it in the dishwasher and the little potholder things that are just big enough to fit over the knob of the lid. 

@Z_Eggineer Ikea is another store that I always find way more things then originally planned. I'm really glad I have to goto another state to the closest Ikea.. I'm usually worn out by the time I get to the kitchen stuff, so I haven't spent much time in that area. Of course that was pre-Big Green Egg so next trip I might need a trailer. 
    :D
  • GrannyX4
    Solson005, are you in OK city? We have relatives in Edmond. MDSH is an Okie from Hominy.
  • Solson005
    I live in Edmond and love it here. Thankfully we are finally starting to get good grocery stores in the state, most of the big chains stay away since they cannot see wine and spirits and lose profits. I'm not too familiar with Hominy other than I know it is pretty close to Tulsa. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013
    Just another thought: For mashing garlic for vinaigrettes why not the side of a wide knife on a cutting board with a little salt? Just saying.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    @Mickey I use that method all the time works great! 
  • GrannyX4
    Micky, I have mashed garlic like that in the past but the shoulders are gone and mortar was a little easier for me. Besides it was a good reason to go shopping and Chicos was right around the corner, imagine that! ;;)
  • GrannyX4
    Solon, not much in Hominy. Hwy 99 goes right through it and on to Pawhuska home to the Pioneer Woman.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I got one for Christmas, kept my son-in-law busy the entire holiday seasoning it with rice.  Haven't used it yet??