Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig rub question...

I will be smoking anywhere from 16-24 lbs of boston butt Easter weekend, so I'm already beginning to plan for a pretty big cook (at least in my terms) on my large bge. Typically I concoct a modified version of a rub I found online called "Rufus Rub" which is a sweet heat rub, or I will use Sure Shot Sid's Gunpowder rub although typically I use the Gunpowder on ribs & the Rufus Rub on pork shoulder. At any rate, I'm looking to shake things up a little and try something new. I know the Dizzy Pig rub's are a staple for a lot of eggers so I wanted to poll the board to ask....What is the board's recommendation for a Dizzy Pig rub for Boston Butt?? 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    dizzy dust coarse grind
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I bought a huge container of Bad Byron's Butt Rub so pork butts are about the only thing I haven't tried dizzy pig on. I imagine dizzy dust coarse grind as J_Que said unless you are going for a particular flavor then take your pick. I bought the sampler pack and have replaced the baggie with almost every shaker bottle, its all good stuff and unique flavors. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MadDAWG
    MadDAWG Posts: 31
    So what kind of flavor profile is the course grind? I don't know that I have an exact profile that I'm looking for, just something different, is the course grind more sweet? more spicy?
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    edited March 2013
    Same profile as the regular grind. It just holds up better to larger cuts and longer cooking times.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    It is their all purpose bbq and the one probably best for a good pulled pork, same flavor just different grind. The coarse grind just works better for bigger cuts of meat. Here is a picture from the two samples I don't know if you will be able to pick up the differences, either would work but coarse would probably give you a little better bark. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I'm a big fan of dizzy pig rubs but the cost keeps me from using it on butts. As Solson005 said the course Dizzy Dust is their rub for butts. My go to butt rub is bad Byron's mixed with garlic powder, white and brown sugar. Good spice with some sweet. It also makes great bark.
    LBGE Knoxville, TN
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I have yet to buy a rub , always go with my own. I am curious but on a single butt that would use up so much @$12.95 a bottle my local sells it at.
    Seattle, WA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Should be able to get many butts out of one small shaker. They also offer large bottles that are more economical. The large is like buy 3 get forth free of the small. In other words 25% off.
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    @SkinnyV that's why I bought the quart bottle of Butt Rub (before I had tried dizzy pig) and still have lots left, I was doing two butts and go heavy for a nice bark..Pulled Pork one day / Carnitas the next
    I also have to order dizzy pig so I have to pick up bottles when I travel or figure in shipping. Which isn't too big of an issue since ceramic grill works carries DP and I have bought a few things from them and I travel fairly often. I really like Dizzy Pig for their unique flavors and have a bunch of them, Dizzy Dust Coarse grind was fantastic on Ribs and Turkey Breast Dizzy Pig Style Not trying to change your mind just telling you how I've used and liked Dizzy Pig so far. I got the sampler in October and now have all these.
  • MadDAWG
    MadDAWG Posts: 31

Solson005 Since its fairly obvious your familiar w/ the dizzy pig...what size container do you recommend I purchase of the course for appx 24 lbs of butt then? 8 oz container(s) , quarts?

• Solson005
    One of the great things about Dizzy Pig Spices is they jam every last grain of seasoning in the shaker bottle. I would probably say just get the 8 oz and use that it should be enough for 24 pounds. But if you do lots of low and slows getting the bigger containers would be a better value over time. They don't put any additives in so they have a 2 year sell by date and last a little longer if kept in a cool dark place. So it all depends on how much cooking you do. 

I would suggest getting the sampler to try all the different kinds for $10 or so. I just used the Swamp Venom on some chicken thighs I was throwing into jambalaya and it was so good I will be getting a bottle of that and Tsunami Spin next. I don't know if it was the Venom in the name but had it being really spicy in my mind and it just has a great cajun flavor, i used the last of the little baggie on shrimp and liked it as well. It makes for a great spin on some otherwise plain chicken or shrimp to make a really good fast cook for the middle of the week. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @Solson005, I just started carrying the Bone Sucking label in my store. Used the rub before and wasn't terribly impressed but it was far from bad.  How are the sauces?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    @Scottborasjr very different from anything we have here in Oklahoma. It seemed more North Carolina BBQ than the traditional Oklahoma/ Texas that I am used to. I liked the fact that it is gluten free and doesn't have a bunch of sugar. I had to venture out to a Cracker Barrel to find it and that pulled pork was the only time I have had it. It complemented the pulled pork great, but I don't think I would like it as much on brisket or ribs. It was talked about quite a bit on the forum last summer and I wanted to try it out. I was curious about the mustard sauce and actually forgot about both the bbq and the mustard till I dug up that picture. I'm going to do a butt on my small egg soon so I think I'll go get a jar of each and retry it. Never had the spices and as you can see I have bought plenty in the last couple months so it might be awhile before I go looking for more to try. I see on their website they have a teriyaki sauce, I might have to try that one too. 
  • Scottborasjr
    @Solson005 yeah intrigued by the mustard sauce as well. Not sure if we have the teriyaki sauce or not. I know we have the steak rub, the bbq rub, three different bbq sauces and the mustard. In the middle of a 9 day stretch at work so maybe sometime this weekend if I get a chance to try something I'll let you know.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    @Scottborasjr thanks I might get the thicker sauce next time just to try it, not that I could remember it enough to truly compare the two and I would probably like the hot but I don't know about anyone else I cook for. Let me know when you get a chance to try it. I'll make a post when I do the pork butt on my small egg which will be sometime soon. 
  • Scottborasjr
    @Solson005 that's the problem I have with the rub, it wasn't memorable. And I always remember when something tastes great.