Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why a small to complimet the Large?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to be purchasing a cooker soon and I[ve notice that many on this site have a small to compliment the large. When you do this do you find that you use the small more than the large? Do you find the small more convivent? Do they cook the same? Do you use less fuel? I have a small family and do not like leftovers, should I buy a small instead of the large? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Monk,
    I only have a small BGE, but I have used a large in the past. The small does use less fuel and does cook somewhat different from the Large. I would love to get a large to complement my small BGE[p]Most people will say that small is better than the Large at searing steaks simply because the meat is closer to the heat source. The Large gives you better control for Low and Slow cooking and is also better for baking bread and pizzas. However I have done both on the small.[p]The biggest advantage to Large is capacity. Although I have fed a lot of people out of my small egg, for my family of five we do well. Some examples of what will fit in a small are 2 racks of ribs, an 11.5 Pork shoulder and a six-pound turkey breast.[p]One of the other benefits of having a small and a large egg is that you can cook a complete meal that requires two different grill temperatures.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Monk,
    I got a small less than a month ago to go with my large. I haven't had it long enough to say what my usage pattern will be. I don't think there's any difference in the taste of the food from either. I got the small primarily to do high temp work for two people. It's just a little easier than using the large, uses less fuel and, for me, it's easier to clean. I also will use then both when I need a really hot fire for searing prior to doing a lower temp cook with the same met or poultry. And, to tell the truth, I just like toys, the ore the better.
    JimW

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Monk,
    I do use the small more than the large - but if I only had one it would be (and was) the large one. Having the small is nice for grilling but lo & slo is saved for the large. I am doing a turkey tonight and it will go in the large just because I can fit it in there with drip pan and firebricks and that won't easily fit a small. I do steaks on the small since they take up very little grill real estate. [p]Tim

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    You have to own at least two Eggs if you want to join the upper ranks of the cult. :)

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    Monk,
    I just purchased a small last week to compliment my large. I bought it so that I could take it with me when I visit family. I am going to Atlanta this weekend to buy another small for my dad. Cost at the factory is $199.00.
    And, what a great way to let your neighbor borrow your BGE for a day or so to determine if he wants to purchase a nice ceramic cooker.
    I was having problems like you several months ago deciding which one I wanted. Believe me you will kick yourself if you don't get the large. I cooked 9 slabs of ribs several weeks ago and the big guy didn't even burp.
    Also depends on how much cooking you will do.

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    How did we become a cult...? I thought everyone liked to eat good food. Interesting that eating connotates cultness.
    My wife is really going to like this...I am a cult member.

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    Monk,[p]If you can only have one BGE, get the large. We got a small first, and while it did everything we wanted, and more....we found more flexibility with the large (purchased within six months of the small). You can do longer cooks with it, the extra space lets you do a couple of things at once, pizza is *much* easier on the large, etc.[p]We are glad we have both, the small is a bit better for steaks and the two compliment each other very well. You can do different cooks and temps at the same time. For example, steak and potates.[p]Fritz
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    JimW,
    The difference btw men and boys....[p]B~F