Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beef Chuck Roast?

Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
Anybody ever put one of these on the egg? I was just at Sam's and they had a few of these that looked great. Certified Angus Beef. May get one and inject it and throw some rub on it and see how it turns out.
·

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,958
    sure thing. grind it up for burgers. ;)

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 356
    I put some on a v-rack over a drip pan a few weeks ago.   I think I rubbed with Montreal steak. Sort of like this: 

cooked at about 275 dome. I wanted to get it to 200, where I could pull it.  I should have given it more time - it only got to 165 but the kids were hungry .  Had two thick pieces - chopped one up and used for tacos - delicious because they absorb a ton of smoke.  The other I froze and will use for chili.

Next time will cook to higher temp. (and take pictures)
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    Easiest way is to treat it like brisket.  Season with beef rub, smoke at 250f to an internal temp of 160f-ish.  Wrap in foil with with a little beef broth and cook to 200f internal. 
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,635
    Search out pulled beef-chuck is the required ingredient.  Just add big green egg to your search query on google and you should find a few links.  It's better than pulled pork in my book. FWIW-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,300
    @hapster

just wait, he will come and share some knowledge

XLBGE 
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,783

There's only one way to cook chuck roast in my opinion, pulled beef!  And you do it just like you would pulled pork except pull it at 205-215.  Easy and one of the best cooks on the egg.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    Thanks for the replies. So does it fall apart like a pulled pork or is it something I can slice like brisket? Sorry for the ignorance but this is new territory for me. Every time I see a good cut at the meat counter, my head starts a spinnin.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,635
    edited March 2013
    Take it up into the 210-215*F territory and pull like pulled pork...make sure your probe slides in and out with ease before pulling.  There are a few good recipes out there-check them out and enjoy.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Plano_JJ said:

Thanks for the replies. So does it fall apart like a pulled pork or is it something I can slice like brisket? Sorry for the ignorance but this is new territory for me. Every time I see a good cut at the meat counter, my head starts a spinnin.

Cook to 205 and it will fall apart easily. I am a huge fan and like better than pulled pork. I just mustard, rub and smoker.
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    I've done this for pulled beef and it is very good! I did not use the maple syrup though

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,845
    I've done this for pulled beef and it is very good! I did not use the maple syrup though

I have done this one and it is a great recipe. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,399
    I did Barbacoa for tacos. Yum.
    ·
    Im all over it, glad I asked now. That pulled beef looks awesome. So when I pull it do I let it rest in foil? Thanks! Injectable marinade or just rub? Smoke around 250-300?
    ·
    edited March 2013
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,783
    Plano_JJ said:
    So when I pull it do I let it rest in foil? Thanks! Injectable marinade or just rub? Smoke around 250-300?
    You don't need to rest in foil, only if you want to delay lunch/dinner for a while.
    I slap on worchestershire and then rub right before I put it on the egg.  Never tried injecting.
    I go about 275 dome.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
    edited March 2013
  • I'm cooking and this thread is killing me.
    Clanton, Al LBGE
    ·

I'm cooking and this thread is killing me.
    LOL, just keep hittin that Yuengling and it will be alright. I am doing one of these saturday.
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,838
    Is there a general cooking time per pound? Is it a daytime or an overnighter? This might have to be a weekend adventure since it is supposed to be really nice weather

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
    This post has been speaking to me since yesterday, I'm going to do this cook again this weekend.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • Mattman
    I plan on two hours per pound at 250 dome, but if I am in a hurry it always takes longer. Worchestershire coating, indirect pull around 200. It is still dryer than pork in my opinion, but makes a nice change.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,838
    Thanks Bob

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
    So what do I do with this thing when its done? Pull it apart with a fork? I may eat a little bit but I am saving the rest for the week. Just take it out the fridge and warm it up?
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,442

I did Barbacoa for tacos. Yum.

This is on my radar.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·