Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Set up for high heat pizza baking

I am curious as to how you guys set up your egg for baking pizza at high heat, 750+?

Thanks,

Chris
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Never do pizza at 750+. 550 - 600 is usually as hot as I go. PS legs up, grid, raised grid, stone.
  • I appreciate the feedback, but one of the reasons I got a BGE was so that I could attempt to replicate the temps of brick oven pizzas, which are usually used at 800+. I don't feel comfortable going quite that high, but I'm sure someone around here fires up this sucker for pizzas
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Plus 1with Tjcoley, 600 is plenty for 9 minute pizza(s).
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    650ºF i s the highest I will go for pizza!
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Well, I put my stone raised direct with a cookie sheet on the main grid. Temp was at 675 when I put the pie in. Took the daisy wheel off and let her rip for about 1:50 and the pizza was done to perfection. I was too hungry for pics, but there will be for the next one. 
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I cooked my last pizza at 750 mainly because I accidentally overshot my temp. I rolled with it though after I lost some arm hair. Went standard setup for me- PS legs down, ceramic feet, stone. Let stone soak for 30 minutes then let her go. Good pizza. For me my results are usually about the same regardless of temp. The only thing that is different is cook time.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I go high in the dome for pizza, that's where the heat is for the toppings to brown up.
    To do that I have stacked two fire rings in my Baker Egg with a modified plate setter and a small plate setter on top.  To buffer heat I can place a modified pizza stone between the two when the top plate setter starts to get overheated as when doing multiple pizzas.  I bake pizza between 600-650 degrees and my pizza is good.  In the pic's is New York Style.
    ;)
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Don't give up Bamagriller. There are some guys one here that crank it up for pies. I personally have found staying under 650 works for my dough recipe. Usually stay around 550 though if I care to touch the settings.

I know some people on here have done like the dial rolls over to the 200 and do pies for a mater of seconds.

XLBGE 
  • This is actually a somewhat older post. I have since decided to stabilize around 750, raised grid, with an aluminum drip pan as the only heat deflector. After about 1:45, I have brick oven style pizza that is delicious. I will take some good pics next time.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • This is actually a somewhat older post. I have since decided to stabilize around 750, raised grid, with an aluminum drip pan as the only heat deflector. After about 1:45, I have brick oven style pizza that is delicious. I will take some good pics next time.

Please do next time you cook, I like to make skins using "00" flour for Neo style pies which should cook in under 2 minutes.  Would love to see your results.  Thanks!
  • Federalist226
    Federalist226 Posts: 82
    edited April 2013
    I use PS legs down --> green egg feet --> pizza stone --> firebricks. I find that with high-heat cooks the pizza stone gets too hot too fast, resulting in burned bottom and unfinished top. The firebricks allow for higher temp cooks without overheating the cooking surface.

Here is my most recent 2-minute pie (cooked at temps well above 750):

• Oh yeah, that's the look (which equals crust flavor) I'm lookin for! Beautiful Margarita pizza sir.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Clay Q said:
    I go high in the dome for pizza, that's where the heat is for the toppings to brown up.
    To do that I have stacked two fire rings in my Baker Egg with a modified plate setter and a small plate setter on top.  To buffer heat I can place a modified pizza stone between the two when the top plate setter starts to get overheated as when doing multiple pizzas.  I bake pizza between 600-650 degrees and my pizza is good.  In the pic's is New York Style.
    ;)
    That crust looks awesome.  From the pics it looks like you put the pizza pan on the stone?  Is this correct?  You don't have the crust on the stone?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Still in early stages for setup in pic 1....yielded pizzas in pics 2 and 3.  Pic 4 setup is next on the schedule, put it together today.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Agree that 550-600 is the best temp.  But I do have a lesson learned on cooking at high heat (which I have done many times).  
    Put the stone in right before the pizza.  If you let the stone stay too long in there while the heat is over 700 the crust can get black and the toppings won't have melted yet (and I had parchment underneath).  Putting the stone on right before is a good technique if you want the high heat AND want the crust, the dough and the toppings (the trifecta) to all be done simultaneously.  
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2013

I thought that too.  I've been eggin pies at those temps(550-600) since getting my egg, until last month.  Quicker cook times make a better end product, with a combination of crunch and chew from the better, and faster spring.  This spring gives you the "leopard spotting" flavor and texture contrasts you cannot get in the 550-600 ranges using stone.

Hitting the "trifecta" is a goal we all strive to achieve and is why pizza is the most difficult cook on the BGE.  When the stars aline, it is a beautiful thing.  Have only done it once.   

Push the envelope, watch it bend.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."