Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Q and A

Hi,

I thourght i was doing an ok Pulled Pork (i am), but last week i tasted the Danish National (Weber) BBQ teams PP and BBQ sauce.
And.... damn that was good!!! More taste in the meat, more moist. And a fantastic nice bare, almost crispy.

So i have some questions for you all, also as im thinking of starting competitions (In Denmark / Europe) so i want to improve - i always do, thats the fun of smooking!

So for your - out of the world PP! Do you?

1. Do you have water / apple juice / apple cider i a pan in the egg during cooking?

2. Do you spray / mop the butt during cooking?

3. Do you wrap? (Does it influence the taste / moisture? I have the time to cook for 20 hours, so it should not be for a speedier cook, only to improve the taste / result).

4. Do you rub, and rest overnight before cooking?

5. Do you use oil (EVOO) or mustard before rubbing?

6. How much rub do you use? Sprinkle, or cover the meat totaly in a rub-sheet? :-)

7. What temp? I usealy go for 210-225 F in the dome.

8. What end temp? I have always pulled the meat from the smooker at around 196 to 199, but this guy told me they always cook to 208 F?

9. Do you add applejuice / vinegar when pulling the meat?

10. What is your go-to rub recipie?

Have i forgotten any question to achieve the best PP in the world?
Hope you seasoned egg-masters can give me some advice to improve my PP.

PS.
Yes the small european nation of Denmark has a National BBQ team (though they are sponsered by Weber), and have actualy had decent results at Memphis at May and "The Jack" (they have won best BBQ sauce in 2011, and have finished 3rd in chicken and exotic) - http://bbqlandsholdet.dk/ and have just won the "Gourmand" for best international BBQ Cook book.

Griller from Denmark, Europe (BigGreenEgg Large, Weber Q300, Weber Gold 57cm)

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

I got out of what all you are asking. For good pulled pork this works very good for me. Not going to do anymore overnighters.

TURBO BUTTS
    · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!
    · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so
    . Note: both times on the foil wrap is not required. Nor is the butt box.
    I use mustard after the first rub and rub after the mustard. (mustard not required)....
    If doing Turbo Butt and use larger size butt it will take longer.
    Just another way to do the same thing.....
    No water in egg / no spraying of butt.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I'm by no means an expert and have only had my egg since Dec 2012 but I cook pork butts more than anything else, so I'll chime in :)

1.  I don't keep anything in the pan except water but I don't see how cider or juice could hurt.

2.  I don't spray, have found no need.

3.  I've never wrapped but have seen many others do so.

4.  I've done the rub the night before only to make it easier in the morning, have not seen a difference.

5.  I use a light coat of oil to help the rub stick, used mustard only on ribs.

6.  I use a liberal amount of rub and generally do not pat in.

7.  I cook at 250 dome.

8.  I check at 190 and take off the heat when the probe pulls out easily.

9.  I generally do a "Lexington" style butt so I apply a red vinegar sauce when pulling.

10. "Lexington" style is salt only but have used rubs, posted my recipe here:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1295354/#Comment_1295354

• Just like I learned from Mickey, pork butt or ribs, it is turbo style. Very rarely do I do those overnighter's anymore.  I am getting great results with 350 cooks and everyone seems to really enjoy what I can cook on the egg doing it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    I love turbo style. Made my best bbq ever this last weekend doing a turbo butt. Won't even consider doing it any other way.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My butts get turbo cooked, but with a low temperature starting point with maximum smoke --  i go with pecan chunks.  This gets me up to the 160 degree internal foiling point.  After foiling the temperature can be increased to reach your finish temperature.  The big advantage is the amount of flavor, or liquid, that gets collected during the foil wrapped portion of the turbo cook.  Notice the liquid in this finished turbo butt, it gets mixed back into the pulled pork - pure flavor!!
  • bvdw
    bvdw Posts: 37
    1. Do you have water / apple juice / apple cider i a pan in the egg during cooking? at the start in a pan under the meat

2. Do you spray / mop the butt during cooking? no

3. Do you wrap? (Does it influence the taste / moisture? I have the time to cook for 20 hours, so it should not be for a speedier cook, only to improve the taste / result). no, in never open the lid

4. Do you rub, and rest overnight before cooking? yes

5. Do you use oil (EVOO) or mustard before rubbing? yes

6. How much rub do you use? Sprinkle, or cover the meat totaly in a rub-sheet? cover the meat

7. What temp? I usealy go for 210-225 F in the dome. 22o

8. What end temp? I have always pulled the meat from the smooker at around 196 to 199, but this guy told me they always cook to 208 F? 195

9. Do you add applejuice / vinegar when pulling the meat? no

10. What is your go-to rub recipie?