Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Gasket - Lots of overhang...

So I just installed a new gasket. I ordered it from Fred's Music & BBQ. I did the pre-shrink in the dryer. Bought the 77 spray...

After I started applying I realized the gasket quite wide and there's lot of overhang on the outside of the egg. Is that OK? There's no overhang inside.

Just curious

Is it supposed to be wide? 
Should I cut the outside overhang?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Not sure how much overhang you have-not a problem from the seal and as long as no overhang on the inside it won't affect gasket life.  Depending on the amount outside if you leave the BGE uncovered it could be a source of moisture into the BGE but it would take lots of rain/snow and a good period of lack of use for that to develop into an issue.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • canadianeh
    canadianeh Posts: 32
    edited March 2013
    I'd say around 3/16th's of an inch and quarter-inch at the most.

Zero overhang inside.
  • lousubcap
    First time I've heard of that much-and it's the entire circumference...I was going to ask if your dome is aligned but if you have that much all the way around then that's not the cause. Personally I doubt it would become a problem but it should be easy enough to trim down to help with the asthetics...FWIW-perhaps others will be along.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • It's top and bottom. I've got perfect alignment - the top lid is off right now.

I wonder if I was sent a gasket for an extra large in large packaging.

I can trim it with my shun knives.

• lousubcap
    I thought of that possibility but you would have a whole lot of extra gasket material (length-wise) if that was the case.  You may want to give Fred's a call and see if this has been an issue for them in the recent past.
  • canadianeh
    canadianeh Posts: 32
    edited March 2013
    True. Only a couple extra inches length wise.
    I guess I'll try trimming it.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Do you have pics? I would call Fred back and ask him about it. None of my replacements had overhand.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013