Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How lo-n-slow is too lo-n-slow??

Good morning, everyone.

I am a bit fan of the overnight lo-n-slow butt!  ...it's a family favorite.

I did a 8#'er on Saturday night that I injected with apple juice & apple wine vinegar on Friday night.  I had the egg good and stabilized at 225 grid.  I used a good amount of apple chunks - so, what I normally find is that for a short-time the wood chunks actually have the temp a little higher until they burn-off.  So, I went to 241 degrees (for about an hour) and then the egg stabilized itself back at 225 degrees.   I used RO - which I like - and it held at 225 forever.  After nearly 17 hours the fuel started running low and the temp started to drop.  A quick jiggle and the temp went back up to 225'ish. 

I had a very hard time getting it to 190 degrees internal.  I'm sure that's because the extra lo temp.  And, although, it was very tasty - but, truthfully, a little dry.

Here is my question:  is 225 grate temp too low and 17 hrs too long?  Or, should that really lo-n-slow make the butt more tender or less tender?

Comments