Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deli slicer question.

Options
I'm looking to get a deli slicer for the apartment, but need to find one fairly easy to hand clean, as i do not have a dishwasher in my kitchen. (Yay for vintage Chicago apartments.)   Does anyone have any recommendations?

Pentwater, MI

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I don't know any deli slicers that need a dishwasher to clean.  Wash with hot soapy water to get rid of the any remnants and fat, then use a 200 ppm solution of bleach and warm water to sanitize.  When you are buying one make sure that the guards and guides can be easily removed, should not require tools on a pro machine, in some smaller ones you might require a screwdriver.  Buy some bandages and remember you are not buying a toy.

Gerhard
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Look for a Hobart on craigslist if you have the room (they are large).  I have a Chef's Choice 615 - I'm pretty happy with it.  Fairly easy to clean.

http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-Premium-Electric-Slicer/dp/B0058VCYWS

edited March 2013
    Options
    If space is an issue, I would look into the one that nola mentions.  Found a Hobart #612 on craigslist.  It comes in at 100lbs...a beast and a PITA to move.  I keep it on a table in a spare room.  Looking for a SS cart or tool cart with casters.  Cleaning the Hobart is not bad at all, 10 min.  Berkel, Globe, and Chefmate are a few other brands to search if you are set on commercial.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    I also have the Chef's Choice 615 @Nola mentioned.  Takes about 10 minutes to break down, hand clean and reassemble.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I've used my CC 615 three times now, and happy with it.  Lots of the parts come off for cleaning.  $150 through here at Best Buy.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009