Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Citrus Salsa Verde Cedar Planked Salmon (Pics)

ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,590
SWMBO wanted fish, so I prepared Citrus Salsa Verde Salmon tonight. Had some cedar planks so planked the salmon. The salsa verde has become a favorite in our household. So easy to make and good on a lot of dishes. Plated with whole wheat couscous and green beans. This was the best salmon I have had. Cooked raised direct at 450* until IT temp was 140. Took ~25 minutes. Brushed the salmon with agave nectar and gave a generous dusting of salt and pepper before the egg. Let the plank sit on the egg for 5 minutes before throwing on the salmon to get it smoking nicely. Hard to beat the smell of a smoking cedar plank. Sorry for bad plated pic. The yellow plate and poor lighting got me.....
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

  • calikingcaliking Posts: 5,281
    Your cooks are always inspiring. That salsa verde sounds tasty. 

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 1,715
    =D> Looks outstanding!! I would love more details on that salsa verde if you don't mind sharing? Looks like it has capers in it... I love me some capers. I am a big fan of Steven Raichlen's Salsa Verde...would love to give your recipe a go.
    2014 Co-Wing King
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,590
    edited March 2013

    Sure Dyal. Cant remember where I got this one--- we have been using if for a few years.

    It has orange zest, lemon zest, 2 oranges trimmed (no white) and sliced, 2 scallions chopped, 1/2 cup chopped parsley, 3 Tbs chopped fresh mint, 2 Tbs capers rinsed/drained/chopped, juice from 1 lemon, crushed red pepper flakes, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, toss everything then salt and pepper to taste.

    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 526
    That looks awesome. Love cedar planked salmon. Agree...the smell of the cedar plank is greatness.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • jfarleyjfarley Posts: 140
    Looks really good Chubs. Cedar planking is my favorite way to cook salmon as I posted yesterday. Love your raised direct method. The planks have been just a bit too close to the fire when I've done it at the regular direct level. Will definitely use your method next time. Am I seeing that you are simply using three bricks to raise the cooking grid?
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,590
    jfarley said:
    Looks really good Chubs. Cedar planking is my favorite way to cook salmon as I posted yesterday. Love your raised direct method. The planks have been just a bit too close to the fire when I've done it at the regular direct level. Will definitely use your method next time. Am I seeing that you are simply using three bricks to raise the cooking grid?
    Yep, good eye. Took a regular clay brick and a hammer and chisel to make 3 fairly equal pieces. Stand them up on the firering. Brings the grate right to the felt line. Cheap solution. Ordeing the Adjustable Rig soon though.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jfarleyjfarley Posts: 140
    Also completely agree on the time and preheating the planks. The recipe in the Big Green Egg cookbook calls for 12-15 minutes using this method at 400 degrees. Way too low on the time. Last night I went 23 minutes and it came out perfect and moist. Kicked butt on the dried out fish I had on my last restaurant visit.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,590
    jfarley said:
    Also completely agree on the time and preheating the planks. The recipe in the Big Green Egg cookbook calls for 12-15 minutes using this method at 400 degrees. Way too low on the time. Last night I went 23 minutes and it came out perfect and moist. Kicked butt on the dried out fish I had on my last restaurant visit.

    Yeah, I always go to 140* IT. Perfectly flaky and comes off the skin easily.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,246
    Sounds tasty and healthy. Nice job.

    Richardson, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,590
    Griffin said:
    Sounds tasty and healthy. Nice job.
    Thanks Griffin. This recipe is really good, and yes quite healthy. Perfect after a 2-night bender...
    :))
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    wow that really sounds good i will give that citrus salsa a try. the gf does not like anything with cilantro in it so i haven't made salsa in two years and i miss it :((  yours sounds like something that will get me back in the salsa groove

    happy eggin

    TB

    Anderson S.C.

    "Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

    Tyrus Raymond Cobb

  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,590
    BENTE said:
    wow that really sounds good i will give that citrus salsa a try. the gf does not like anything with cilantro in it so i haven't made salsa in two years and i miss it :((  yours sounds like something that will get me back in the salsa groove
    Go for it. Good stuff. Last time I used the leftover salsa on chicken breasts and a turkey burger. It is great on a lot of things.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,841
    Looks good! I like the salmon recipe I use so much I haven't made it any other way in years. I might have to give this a try or at least use the salsa on something else.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
Sign In or Register to comment.