Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket Flat on the Small

R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
My mother-in-law bought me a 7.94 lb brisket flat as a thanks for all of the cooking I do for her. I don't particularly care for cooking flats as I've had much better success cooking whole packers. Beggars can't be choosers and I figured I was up for the challenge.

I decided with all of the interest in SBGEs lately that I'd cook it on my Small. I got it loaded up pretty high with Wicked Good and some oak & cherry chunks: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Got the Egg stabilized around 200-210 and draped the flat over an inverted foil wrapped metal bowl to get it to fit (it was almost 16" in length at its longest point). Folded a little foil under the ends to protect them from the direct heat coming through the edges of the Woo: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Checked to make sure the dome thermo didn't skewer the meat: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It helps that the thermo is pulled out a bit by putting the clip on the outside of the dome: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

40 minutes in the temp looked pretty much where I wanted it (low to get more smoke): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I opened the vents just a slight bit more and took a nap. 2 1/2 hrs into the cook I opened up the vents & let the Egg get up in the 320-340 range. About 4 hrs into the cook it had shrunk enough that I could give my wife a nice clean bowl back to her. Hmm, a little less bark than I was hoping for. In hindsight I was a little light on rub: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

An hour or so later, I decided to foil this one and after another couple of hours it was probing nicely. 3 hrs rest in FTC I was ready to slice this: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I was happy with the smoke ring. It felt pretty tender: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Gave it a one handed pull test and it pulled apart easily: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Ultimately, it was good but not quite as moist as the flats I get off of a packer. The little bit of point meat on this brisket was excellent and just enough to make me wish I had some more point. Thanks for looking.
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
Bay Area, CA
·

Comments

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,142
    Man that makes me wanna eat!!!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • That's a rather large flat there John.   Nice smoke ring.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652

That's a rather large flat there John.   Nice smoke ring.

Thanks Smitty! I sent a pic of that flat on the Small to my buddy and he said I needed a Med Egg for it & suggested I contact you.
    ;)
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Flats are all I usually make due to cost / availability. That looks great and shows us small owners another great cook to try out! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,274
    Great write up. Thanks for posting
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,975
    Thanks for the report. Still working on doing brisket right, so I figured I would try some small flats to practice. Now I have a benchmark to shoot for!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Thanks guys!

Oh, I forgot a couple of details on the cook & set up that may or may not be of interest. I didn't inject the brisket, didn't use my Stoker, used my High-Que grate, and didn't add any more lump or need to stir it. Here's what I had left in lump after pulling off the meat: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,479
    Great results and very creative with the SBGE!
    Louisville
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    Beautiful. Nice smoke ring. Got me wanting to do a brisket again.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • I have GOT to do one of these!!!
    Clanton, Al LBGE
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,324
    for those who do flats, that's a perfect example of what size and kind of flat to buy, big with some point running along it.....I'd load up plenty on the plate with that one.....very nice.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,418
    Looks tastilicious! :D
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,584
    That looks great!  I really like the idea using the inverted bowl to drape it over to get it "egg shaped" :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • You did that brisket on a small? Nice.

That settles the mini vs small debate for me.

·