Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How lo-n-slow is too lo-n-slow??

Good morning, everyone.

I am a bit fan of the overnight lo-n-slow butt!  ...it's a family favorite.

I did a 8#'er on Saturday night that I injected with apple juice & apple wine vinegar on Friday night.  I had the egg good and stabilized at 225 grid.  I used a good amount of apple chunks - so, what I normally find is that for a short-time the wood chunks actually have the temp a little higher until they burn-off.  So, I went to 241 degrees (for about an hour) and then the egg stabilized itself back at 225 degrees.   I used RO - which I like - and it held at 225 forever.  After nearly 17 hours the fuel started running low and the temp started to drop.  A quick jiggle and the temp went back up to 225'ish. 

I had a very hard time getting it to 190 degrees internal.  I'm sure that's because the extra lo temp.  And, although, it was very tasty - but, truthfully, a little dry.

Here is my question:  is 225 grate temp too low and 17 hrs too long?  Or, should that really lo-n-slow make the butt more tender or less tender?

·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    the cook temp and time is fine but the internal could have been bumped up a little higher, 195 to even 200 internal for me. i tend to increase temps towards the end of the cook to finish it up just a little quicker
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,461
    Yep gotta cook it longer. Start checking it at 195 IT. Bone should slide right out.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • I'm fully on-board with cooking to temp (vs. time) and I knew I was pulling it early (unfortunately, I never anticipated it taking 17+ hours so I just ran out of runway.)  

Although the bone pulled clean and easily, it was dry (even after I injected it the night before.)

I've never pulled one at an internal temp this low before.  So, I'm wondering - are butts typically dry when you pull them early?  If I were to have left it on for another 7-10 degrees and brought it to the >195 degrees, it would have been more moist?

I know every butt is different - but, I'm wondering if those last 7-10 degrees would have made it moist or even more dry.
    ·
  • chainsaw19chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    I had two 8lbers on this weekend as well and was trying same temp, I ran into the same issue and after reading a bunch of threads this weekend, I think Ill shoot for 250 next time.  I think mine was at 18 hours and I pulled them to finish in the oven because I didnt want to reload the Egg at that point. 
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
    ·
  • twlangantwlangan Posts: 293
    The last pair of butts I did took 17 hrs at 250 grate temp. They seemed to stall forever before taking off toward 200. Differences in the meat will change stall and cook times.
    ·