Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help - How did you get your Egg into the Table?

Dooms-Dave
Dooms-Dave Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be completing a table for my large BGE tomorrow. The design began with the BGE site plans and with input from the forum folks. Have the stone to put on the lower shelf, all measured up to give the right heights, but . . .[p]What is the savest / best / easiest way to get that LARGE into the table?[p]Would appreciate adivice from those of you who have tables and did this operation before. I don't think that the wife and I can handle it ourselves and I don't want to drop him (all the king's horses and all the king's men don't make the warranty come back when you drop Humpty). (In my case it could be my two 250-pound brothers in law)[p]Thanks.[p][p]

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Dooms-Dave,
    Disassemble the EGG and remove the fire ring and fire box. You can then easily lift it into the EGG. Then replace the ring, box and reassemble the EGG (top and band).

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Dooms-Dave,
    If you disassemble your egg, you should be able to lift it with no problem. This includes separating the dome from the base.[p]If you are really concerned, get a friend to help but at least remove the fire ring and firebox.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Dooms-Dave,
    I think your wife and you should be able to handle it by yourselves. I did all by myself with no one's help. I removed all the innards of the egg and unscrewed the bands on the top and removed the top. Lifted the bottom up and put her down gently on the stone, then reassembled allthe parts. worked like a charm. the bottom alone is probably only 60 pounds or so.[p]Mary

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Dooms-Dave,
    I was able to bear hug it and lift it onto the table, then gently down into the hole (remove the insides and it is much lighter (or less heavy!!) Your brothers in law would be a great asset. Two people are better than one. [p]Moving slowly and carefully is recommended.[p]Have fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Dooms-Dave,
    If I had to do it over again, I'd dissassemble it too. With the help of a neighbor I lifted the complete egg to the tabletop then braced it with a 2x4 propped up inside the hole. Then as the egg slid down the 2x4 with some support of the dome, I was able to pull the board out beneath it and settle it gently on the stepping stone. I think it would have been easier to dismantle the thing. I just hope I never have to remove it!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    JJ, Exactly...right on my friend! Thats the way I did it too!
    C~W

• Mary, yup..get a good grip on it thru the ash pit hole when slipping it inside the hole.
    One could tilt the table to rest on some blocks if angle fitting it would work for a single guy or gal..Just thoughts.
    C~W

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    JJ,
    Wow! 4 answers in 4 minutes. This forum rules.
    See yo in eggtober.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Dooms-Dave,[p]Take it apart! If you haven't already, then upgrade to a new auto lock band, and you will have it all done.

• Ed Earl
    Ed Earl Posts: 28
    Dooms-Dave,Remove the fire ring and box, then sit the egg on the table using the bear hug method; Open the lid and reaching inside use the lower vent as a handle to lower it into the table. Remember to lift with your leggs, not your back.[p]
    Ed Earl