Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wildly off temp

Options
jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
The last two rib cooks I've encountered wildly differing dome and grate temps. Right now, 1.5 hours into my cook, the dome thermomater reads 425 and the grate Maverick reads 300. Both tested out at 212 before the cook. What gives? My gasket is still on though it's a mere remnant of its former self. Waiting for warmer weather before I change it. 
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    That's weird. I don't think I've seen much more than a 10 degree difference. I assume you're cooking indirect with a place setter?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    go with grate temp, ignore dome. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2013
    Options
    They should come together in another 1-2 hours.  Watch your fire though, as you may see your grate temp raise to the dome temp in the process.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    If your egg is on a temperature increase, there could be that much difference in temperature, because sometimes you can have flames coming up the sides of the egg -- licking the side walls where the dome stat is..  But if the egg is stabilized -- something is wrong with the probes.
  • jlsm
    Options
    No flames, Charlie. But each time I started with a healthy fire before I put the plate setter, drip pan and grate in. Weird. The only difference with the last two cooks is I decided to do "turbo" with 300 grate and I've lit in several places to start. I went with grate, took 2 hours, and I think these might be the best ribs ever. Used Mickey's coffee rub; really my favorite. Just enough sugar for a fabulous bark, just the right heat from ancho and black pepper. I'm thinking it needs a tad more salt, though. 
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Options
    When's the last time you calibrated your dome thermometer?
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I've had some "temp creep" problems lately.  I've figured that wind was getting into the bottom vent and boosting the temp of my stabilized Egg.  Lucky for me nothing has gotten ruined yet.  Maybe this could be part of the problem?
    Flint, Michigan
  • jlsm
    Options
    Checked the dome and Maverick right before the cook. It was windy, but don't know why that would make a difference.