Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Flat on the Small

R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
My mother-in-law bought me a 7.94 lb brisket flat as a thanks for all of the cooking I do for her. I don't particularly care for cooking flats as I've had much better success cooking whole packers. Beggars can't be choosers and I figured I was up for the challenge.

I decided with all of the interest in SBGEs lately that I'd cook it on my Small. I got it loaded up pretty high with Wicked Good and some oak & cherry chunks: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Got the Egg stabilized around 200-210 and draped the flat over an inverted foil wrapped metal bowl to get it to fit (it was almost 16" in length at its longest point). Folded a little foil under the ends to protect them from the direct heat coming through the edges of the Woo: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Checked to make sure the dome thermo didn't skewer the meat: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It helps that the thermo is pulled out a bit by putting the clip on the outside of the dome: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

40 minutes in the temp looked pretty much where I wanted it (low to get more smoke): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I opened the vents just a slight bit more and took a nap. 2 1/2 hrs into the cook I opened up the vents & let the Egg get up in the 320-340 range. About 4 hrs into the cook it had shrunk enough that I could give my wife a nice clean bowl back to her. Hmm, a little less bark than I was hoping for. In hindsight I was a little light on rub: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

An hour or so later, I decided to foil this one and after another couple of hours it was probing nicely. 3 hrs rest in FTC I was ready to slice this: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I was happy with the smoke ring. It felt pretty tender: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Gave it a one handed pull test and it pulled apart easily: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Ultimately, it was good but not quite as moist as the flats I get off of a packer. The little bit of point meat on this brisket was excellent and just enough to make me wish I had some more point. Thanks for looking.
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments