Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Recomend me a Mapp torch or other way to light the EGG

Title says it all, I've been using BGE fire starters since I got my first Egg but now at 8 bucks a box they seem a little pricey. Not to mention I know people say they get it ready to go much quicker with a torch/ weed burner.
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
·

Comments

• LitLit Posts: 3,846
    Wagner heat gun for $22 from home.depot.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,292
    Drizzle oil on a paper towel and light. Make teepee with lump around flame. Can't get any cheaper and comes to temp quickly
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Electric heat element -- ten bucks.  First one lasted me three years -- cooking three to four times a week..
    ·
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 2,470
    +1 for the electric starters.  Bury it, plug it in, come back in 5-10 minutes... giddyup.  Works like a champ, every time.  
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • blueinatlblueinatl Posts: 94
    I use a chimney.  I can control just how much lump is lit that way.  Also, it is pretty quick.
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
    ·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,047
    Love my Looftlighter. Pricey though.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758

Electric starter.  Cheapest, easiest, best way to start lump.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • North_Is_UpNorth_Is_Up Posts: 134
    Because I have a wooden deck where the egg is, I prefer to use cubes, especially in the dark. I found that Rutland fire starters from Ace look exactly the same as the BGE fire starters and they're much cheaper. Size looks identical to me. Burns the same. For $13.99 you get 144. 
    BGE fire starters by me go for $12.50 for a box of 24. I also have the electric BGE fire starter that I received as a gift. Works well in daylight. 

Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
    ·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    +1 on Looftlighter.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,441
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,752
    Exactly what product is that @Mickey?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    A word of warning. When you get your Mini get one like the yellow one for it. Do not use the big torch to light it (don't ask). Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

·
    Thanks @Mickey and thanks @North_Is_Up I will look into both and thanks to everyone else for the quick responses

·
  • LeviticusLeviticus Posts: 12
    I had a TS300KC already (Bernzomatic trigger light kit that comes with propane), and grabbed a tank of MAPP the week I got my egg. I have to say, I really just have to hold it in one or two spots for a few seconds and she's off.

Cost for that setup should be around $35 bucks all in. 14 oz refills will be $10 as you require (I have not met the end of my tank, but I've only started the egg 3 times!
    Tucker, GA - LBGE
    ·
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 2,470
    The propane torch seems kind of like the nuclear option of BGE starting.  I like it, but I'm fairly certain I'd injure myself.  
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I really love the looftligher. Cuts 15+ minutes of my light time.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003
    I started out with a looft lighter and moved to a Bernzomatic TS8000 when it got cold out.  It uses Mapp gas and it only takes 10 seconds per place you want to start. I like it better than a weed burner only because it sparks a lot less.  I light at least one egg every night and I'm still on the first bottle of Mapp gas.  My looft lighter was taking anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes to get my lump started well.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,845
    Like couple others mentioned but I sat map torch. I did the starter blocks, the oil/paper towel. Since I got torch couldn't be happier. Lights very fast, less spark then weed eater, the tanks are cheap to replace and last a very long time. I personally have the ts8000 but really the 3000 or whatever cheapest is would be perfect as well for just starting egg. I usually hit 2-4 spots at about 20-30 seconds each, depending what temp I'm trying to get to.
    Boom
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,144
    I've got the yellow benzo map torch in mickeys pic. Lights my large in under a min, small is lit in seconds.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
    ·
  • MayberryMayberry Posts: 466
    I used a charcoal chimney for a long time and really liked it. But, the dust from moving it from ground to Egg kept tracking into house and the wife was not happy. I bought a mapp torch a few weeks back and love it. http://www.lowes.com/pd_387416-13877-332497_0__?productId=3647072&Ntt=bernzomatic&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=bernzomatic&facetInfo=
    Athens, GA
    ·
    I've got the yellow benzo map torch in mickeys pic. Lights my large in under a min, small is lit in seconds.
    Yea something like that. But Home Depot has the one with a cord. Hold on I'll find it.

·
    I think this one is sweet. I got mine on sale at lowes with a gift card.

http://m.sears.com/productdetails.do?partNumber=SPM7480123510&sid=&psid=

·
    edited March 2013
    That looks awesome @MrCookingNurse, do you go through 20 bucks worth of gas in a month? I Egg about 3 times a week so trying to save money. But if I can get the SWMBO to sign off on the mini it will probably be more.

·
    I've had mine for about... 20 cooks.... Maybe and it's fine. I hear it last a long time

·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,845

That looks awesome @MrCookingNurse, do you go through 20 bucks worth of gas in a month? I Egg about 3 times a week so trying to save money. But if I can get the SWMBO to sign off on the mini it will probably be more.

I use mine 4x week plus I use in my fire pit. I've had mine for about 2 1/2 months. Still on 1st tank. I have back up tank for the day it finally goes empty.
    Boom
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,083
    If you have an electric outlet, get an electric starter. Now on the 6 or 7th year, SWMBO thinks it might be more, <$20 and the cost to light a fire is <$0.02 assuming 900 watts for 7 minutes. 
    If you don't have an outlet, you are stuck with the MAPP starter - which i use for creme brulee. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • LDRLDR Posts: 267

The Bernzomatic is very effective.  I already had one, and I've been using it four to six times a week since November.  I'm still using the first tank, which already had some use on it.  I had the one without the hose, and I keep talking myself in and out of getting the version with the hose.  Get the hose!

Also - it's useful for jobs other than lighting the egg.

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,524

If you have not tried this, please do. It is ridiculously simple and works.

Wet a bounty towel with cooking oil and shove it through the draft door and light it. This will be under the HiQ grate. Lights the egg so nicely.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·