Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

first competition

My buddy and i did our first competion yesterday. Got a call on chicken...3rd place, also took a fourth in peoples choice pork.

have to say it was fun, but a lot of work.after the pressure was off, my daughter made her famous mini apple pies.

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

Comments

• RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Congrats. Care to share any tips?
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 3,135
    edited March 2013
    Looks like a lot of fun! Unfortunately my cooking is typically fueled by a 80 proof companion (at least) and don't feel comfortable competing with others. Congrats on your results!!
    >:)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Cuda1965Cuda1965 Posts: 49
    Congrats!
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    How about some info on the mini apple pies? Good job bringing the next generation into the cook.
    Man that is awesome! I would love to compete some day, and to place your first time out is amazing. Did you do a lot of test cooks ahead of time and have a honed strategy going into it or did you just use a favorite go-to recipe? Would love to hear about it!
  • AltonAlton Posts: 443
    Congrats !!!,
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,689
    Nice....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Outstanding!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Max232Max232 Posts: 76

Thanks guys,

Funny you should ask about doing alot of test cooks, i did so many that i think my family hates chicken now, lol

Those mini apple pies are the bees knees! i will make a post on the recipe( i think i have some photos of her process somewhere)

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,337
    =D>
    Well done

XLBGE 
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,527
    Congrats!

Ricky

Spring, TX

• calikingcaliking Posts: 7,162
    Kudos! A very hearty congratulations to you.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,915
    Great job-congrats!
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,910
    Thats great and hopefully was worth all the work!  =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Congrats.  Very impressive for the first time.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,555
    Looks awesome dude. Congratulations on the showing. My old Lacrosse coach runs a team and wants me to join. I think you just pushed me over the edge.
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,109
    Impressive! Way to go.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • WhalerWhaler Posts: 104
    Looks great!
    Where was this?
    Pensacola,FL
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 577
    That's awesome! Congrats.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191

Well the presentation looks good -- how about faxing some of those thighs ??   Congrats on placing third, that's quite an accomplisment.

PS: Nice bus you and your buddy have for egging !!

;)
  • Max232Max232 Posts: 76
    @whaler, this was at smokin in the square in Pensacola
    @charlie tuna , haha I wish that was my bus(actually I don't, wouldn't want the fuel bill that goes with it)

• calracefancalracefan Posts: 499
    Congratulations !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Competition takes some guts and plenty of effort!  Needless to say "plenty of money" too!  I have friends in competition cooking and it takes special people to do it !