Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chefs Choice 15/20 Sharpener

hapsterhapster Posts: 6,788
My little 2 stage Chefs Choice manual sharpener just wasn't getting the job done anymore. And if there's one thing that will drive me nuts, its knives not being as sharp as possible.

I debated the high end manual sharpener kits; but in the end decided to go the lazier way...

After reading reviews and figuring what the majority of my knife use actually is; I decided on the 3 stage Chefs Choice 15/20 unit.

Pretty impressed so far. The one knife that I use the most; turned out way sharper than when I'd do it wit the manual unit. Tomatoe shaving sharp...

Anyone else have this or a similar model?
·

Comments

• WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,350
    I have an old chef's choice 315- it is a 2 zone but does a good job. Congrats on the new toy.
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,788
    Thanks! So far so good. I know doing it manually with stones us probably best; but I just don't have that kind of time right now... Maybe someday.
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,350
    3 small kids and a puppy- know the feeling. There will be time to sleep when we die :\">
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
    Wolfpack said:

3 small kids and a puppy- know the feeling. There will be time to sleep when we die :\">

:))

I tell people all the time... "I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm dead."
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,453
    I have the chef choice 120 and it does a fine job. Keeps the Wusthof's sharp enough. I'm not the most coordinated in the cutting department. Sometimes the digits have been known to get in the way of the knife. I don't know what I would do if they were any sharper. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • r270bar270ba Posts: 763
    Can you cut paper with it after it is sharpened?  I sharpen my knives with stones and it really is nice to see them that sharp.  Don't know that I could go another way if it couldn't cut paper.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,453
    Meat, vegetables, and fingers but not paper. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
    I tested most of them on tomatoes... The one little paring / utility knife that I figured had the worst edge cut paper with no issues :)
    ·
    Cool. How much did you pay for the sharpener. The manual stones take soooo long
    Anderson, SC

·
    This model was 169.99 at Kitchen Kapers...
    ·
    Ok so definitely not a cheap one. Nice I will take a look.
    Anderson, SC

·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,650
    I use a 1000/6000 stone and then a 30,000 then 60,000 loaded strop then a bovine leather strop to polish and I can do my 6", 8", and 10" Gyutos in 10 minutes. I like to sharpen and hone my knives so its not as much of a chore.
    ·
    Lit said:
    I use a 1000/6000 stone and then a 30,000 then 60,000 loaded strop then a bovine leather strop to polish and I can do my 6", 8", and 10" Gyutos in 10 minutes. I like to sharpen and hone my knives so its not as much of a chore.
    I agree that something done with care manually and the right tools and experience would likely be much better in the long run; I'm just balancing it out against everything else in my life at the current time. My pocket knives are all done on a Lansky kit, Benchmades that I don't trust to a mechanical unit
    ·