Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brick selection

I want to raise my pizza stone on top of the grid to be higher up in the dome. What type of bricks does everyone use or suggest?

I have been looking all around here on the west side of Atl and can't find any and shipping from the internets is a little pricey.

Would standard paver bricks from one of the home improvement stores withstand the heat?
·

Comments

• blueinatlblueinatl Posts: 93
    I stopped by my local home depot today to get fire bricks for raising my grid.  They said they could order them.  In the interim, I'm going to use empty beer cans and pray for the best.
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
    ·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 177
    Well, I just looked at the ace website. I think I can get the Rutlands shipped to my local ace for free and the box of 6 is less than $20.

I might go that route.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Get ahold of RRP on the other forum -- cheap and fast service -- he is an egger -- not a retailer..
    ·
  • Just go to a local hearth shop, I sell fire brick for 3 dollars a brick. They work good and will take the heat just fine. 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,947
    Clay bricks are fired at 1500* or something like that. They work fine

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited March 2013
    Any brick they have should work fine --  they are probably thinking of the fire brick used inside fire places...  "ANY BRICK" will be safer than a beer can...
    ·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 388
    Just go to a local hearth shop, I sell fire brick for 3 dollars a brick. They work good and will take the heat just fine. 
    +1  & they are some of my favorite accessories 
    ·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 177
    Well, here in the south hearth and fireplace shops are few and far between.
    ·
  • Its just a clay fired brick, we get pallets of them from the local rock guys. Really I want to see the beer cans lol 
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,027
    @/Mkline - To raised my grid I just used 4 carriage bolts and an extra grid that I bought at Lowes. Not my idea, I saw it here. For pizza I generally go PS legs up, my original grid, homemade raised grid, BGE feet and then a pizza stone. It is too dark to get you a good pic but here is one where I went raised direct for some beef tenderloin. If you need a better pic just say so & I will hook you up tomorrow image
    image.jpg 205.3K

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
    edited March 2013
    Forgot to mention I am goin to reconfigure and only use 3 bolts instead of four to make it easier access when cooking on both levels

·
  • WiltOnTiltWiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    I've been using plain old red bricks and it works fine for me. Granted, only done a handful of high temp cooks with them and they are a little bulky
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I use plain ole bricks. The kind on a house. I broke them in half and use 3 halves sitting on top of the fire ring.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I've been using a couple pavers split in half. Made sure they were dry and wrapped up good in foil. That was a year ago and now the foil is gone as I'm sure they have no moisture anymore.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,417
    Doesn't have to be fire bricks. I took one clay brick with a hammer and chisel and made three fairy equal pieces. Stand them up on the firering. Works great. Getting a AR soon though.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • pineypiney Posts: 464

If you have a Lowes Home Improvement near by they have fire bricks for less than 2 bucks each.

The ones I use are 1x4x8.

Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 785
    Forgot to mention I am goin to reconfigure and only use 3 bolts instead of four to make it easier access when cooking on both levels
    Looking at your setup, it doesn't look like you'd have any access to the lower level.
    ·
  • Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 489
    Picked mine up at Lowes and cut them to a more appropriate size.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
    ·
    @njl- not in that particular cook because I was going raised direct but when I do indirect with the PS which gets me to felt line with the grid and then my homemade raised rack I can do double layer of ribs, chicken quarters or anything that will fit in the 4 1/2" between grids

·