Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Finished Early

I woke up at 5:00 am an started a 10lb pork shoulder at 260 degrees, expecting it to be done late this afternoon.  Well, I went back to sleep and woke up at 9:00 am and the BGE temp had climbed to 350 degrees, internal temp at 165.  I tried to bring the BGE temp back down but the internal temp got to 195 degrees pretty quickly (around noon) so I pulled it, wrapped it in aluminium foil and placed it in the oven at 170 degrees.  Any tips on how I should handle this for the next few hours until our friends come over at 5:00 pm for dinner? Leave it as I have it in the oven?  Pull the pork and put it in the fridge then reheat?  Any insight would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Wrap in towels and place in a cooler, should be fine til dinner. Enjoy the meal.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I put mine in a cooler with some towels over the top of the foil close the cooler and let it set until you're ready to eat. It will stay warm for a long time in te cooler.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I would check the internal in a few spots to make sure it is fully done -- 195 before placing it in a cooler -- from yur story that internal temperature rise seemed too fast for 350 degree cooking??  That included the "stall"??  You don't want the company at the table -- and the pork doesn't pull ??
  • Charlie tuna, I thought the same thing--"How is this getting to 195 so quickly?"  I honestly have no clue.  I will say it did look pretty good when I took it off the BGE.  I was expecting it to be dried out but was still pretty juicy.

Unfortunately, I don't have a cooler so I guess I'll just leave it in the oven.
  • Charlie tuna
    edited March 2013
    Another thing that work as well as a cooler are "moving blankets" if you have a couple laying around? Just wrap the foiled pork in the blankets and don't open it up until you are ready to pull.  Are you sure you didn't get that 195 degree reading by having your probe close to the bone???  Something sounds wrong with that reading.
  • I checked it with my thermapen and the Maverick but maybe didn't try it in a variety of spots.  I guess it's too late to fix that now as it's been off for over an hour, right?
  • Charlie tuna
    No, i would just check it in a few spots -- if it is low, you could stick it in the oven and bring it back up??  Or just try to pull some of it with a pair of forks??
  • Ok, I popped it out of the oven and checked several spots and it's consistently 165 throughout.  I think that's just because it has been in the oven at 170 for 1.5 hours now.  It doesn't look too bad right now if I were to pull the pork but I'm thinking it would be better to wait until closer to having people come over?  
  • Charlie tuna
    You should have tried to pull some of it ---  thats the "cooks priviledge anyhow --  a test taste!!  If it doesn't pull, you will have to slice it --  still good !
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2013
    The last butt I cooked I did "Nitro" It was a 10 1/2 lb so real close to yours. I cooked at 350 all the way thru until I hit 197 IT or really close. That took 7 1/2 hrs, you are at 7hrs I would FTC and not sweat it at all. At the temps I cooked at I never saw a stall and it turned out very good, not slow and low good but if I am in a time pinch I will not hesitate to Nitro again

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Does the bone slide put easily? If so, no need to pull it because it is likely ok.. If Bo e still snug in there it probably isn't done.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The bone slid out like butter.  I guess I just wasn't familiar with the "Nitro" method and thought I had ruined it.  Still much to learn...

Thanks for the helpful tips
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    With the bone sliding out like butter then as you are aware, you a good to go.  I always serve with the sauce on the side so the consumers can judge how much to use.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.