Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A beautiful Saturday morning... lotsa pics

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
Today was pizza day. Woke up early. Fired up the eggs and some tunes, made a cup of coffee and got to work.

Made the dough for pizzas last night. I  used the Vera Pizza Napoletana dough recipe from Forno Bravo since I was using tipo 00 flour for the first time. 

This morning, I fired up both the large and small eggs. 

Started off grilling the tandoori turkey.

Put the pizza stone in the large and let it come up to temp. Meanwhile, grilled some veggies for some of the pies.

SWMBO was out running errands so I didn't want to get started  on the pies just yet. Rummaged through the freezer and fridge, and decided to make glazed beets and threw on some boudin balls for good measure. I dusted the boudin balls with DP Jamaican Firewalk and some turbinado sugar for a little more sweet in the heat. Figured they would be a nice snack. Turns out that boudin balls don't work so well at 400ish direct. They get really soft, while the bottom is done, and then are a b!tch to get off the grid. But they tasted great! :)

When the beets were done and the glaze was ready, I pulled them off and shut the small down. SWMBO was back, so I set about making the pies.Dough had been punched down earlier and allowed to rise again. It felt like silk.

Rolled out the crusts before assembly, and set about putting them together.

I used about half of the recipe, and made four 10-11" pies.

Time to hydrate the cook. This is the latest (most essential) mod to the small.

Still a beautiful Saturday...

Pizzas were on for 5mins, spun around 180°, parchment paper removed, then another 5mins. I noticed that the tipo 00 doesn't brown like AP flour does. The crusts did get cracker-crispy though.

First up - Pizza Margherita - Tomatao sauce, mozz pearls, tomato, basil, garlic, dressed with EVOO.

Second - grilled veggie medley - grilled veggies (poblano, yellow peppers, red peppers, green peppers, jalapenos, onions) and mushrooms.Dressed with pecorino romano cheese.Finished with ghost pepper salt which totally made this pie spectacular.

Third - turkey pepperoni and grilled veggies, with red onions. Also dressed with pecorino romano and jalapeno slices. Hmmmmm... I forgot to take a pic of this one. See below for a glimpse of a slice.

Fourth (and last) - tandoori turkey! Also with grilled onions, peppers, and some left over ikra in the sauce from a while ago.

One shot of all the pies together.

Forgot to take pics of the glazed beets! A tight shot, so you can't see what a mess I made of my plate.Tossed with toasted pecans ( I burned 3 batches first) and chives form the garden. 

This beautiful morning was fueled by a couple of beers, B B King and this awesome bluetooth speaker I picked up from Amazon. They have another one for $20 which also has good reviews. I might pick that one up for the garage. The sound form the little blue one was really quite impressive and I like that volume can be controlled from your phone. 

So that was my beautiful Saturday morning. The weather was great, the pool is looking great since the filter got fixed, and basically there wasn't much wrong with the world for a few hours. It was terrific therapy! I hope everyone else is having a great weekend as well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Beautiful cook. Very well done.
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Gorgeous! Well done, sir!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    You have been a busy, busy, busy boy - having fun it would appear, but busy just the same. Nice cook.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    what part of Cali are you in?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Everything looks and sounds like a great day! 00 is awesome now that I have found a local place I use it for pizza and pasta all the time. I like to throw in 1/3 part semolina flour to my mixture to give it a little bit of a chew. 

Nice mod on the small, I would definitely steal that, but the eggcarten has one laser cut in it already, Did you get a cast iron grate for it or already have that one? 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    Thanks everyone!

@td66snrf: its a different Cali :)

@Solson005: those are Craycort grates for the Weber Smokey Joe. Got them on Craigslist last year for $25. The BGE ones are kinda pricey.

My first time using the tipo00, and I'm sure I need to learn how to use it optimally. Thought it to be somewhat bland. I'll try your tip of adding some semolina.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I've been happy with Jamie Oliver's pizza dough and usually make a half batch of it unless we are doing a big pizza party. The 00 likes heat and if you do pizzas as thin as todays you can crank the heat up and it just makes the crust even better. Every cook except for my last one Two-Tier Pizza Party! I've done pizzas 500-550° pizza stone temp the last one we cranked it up and did really thin pizzas and really enjoyed it. There is a million different ways to make pizza and I would be happy with any of the ones I have made, but if you compare them together the last ones were the best. I just bought a Peter Reinhart book called American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza so I will probably tweak my recipe once I get done with it and share my findings. 

I've been looking at the craycort and would get the skillet piece too for fajitas. But I will more than likely just hold out for the CGW Swing Rack and just use the carbon steel for searing. and maybe ask for the lodge pieces you posted in your breakfast cook for a gift when my birthday rolls around.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited March 2013
    Nice pics & great looking pies! I think you have a TD contender there brother! =D> Good Luck!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    This was a really fun post to read. Nice work! I am particularly impressed by your hydration choice. I've not tried that Porter from Sam Adams. Good stuff?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    BIG fan of the Balvenie Scotch. Also a very well executed Cook :-bd
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Bham_egger
    Bham_egger Posts: 196
    Very nice!  I must admit I'm a little envious.  Can you explain a little about the tandoori?  I love Indian Tandoori meat, but not all that familiar with how it's done.  I figured the egg would be perfect for it.
  • You show me that. And I'm stuck with this.

Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Bham_egger
    Bham_egger Posts: 196
    Wop Biscuits!!!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited March 2013
    Dude... =D>

Man, you guys are great for a chap's self esteem. Thanks for all the nice comments.

To answer some of the questions (may take a few posts):
    @Solson005: I wasn't too impressed with the tipo 00, but I can't blame the flour since I don't really know how to cook with it. It tasted like it had dried out while cooking, and lacked flavor, but your tip about cooking at higher heat makes sense - VPN is done at nuclear temps after all. I'll play around with it. I bought American Pie a little while back and have been trying to get through it, but have not been diligent about it. Its a great read though, with lots of good info. 
           I too am holding out for the small swing rack, so no more buying eggcessories until then (BTW the best advice I've been given on this forum has been to not waste my time or money on BGE eggcessories and to look at things like the AR and CGW swing rack instead). I can get by with bricks and a clay saucer on the large, but real estate is low on the small. I will likely end up getting a swing rack for the large as well. I can only take so many pics of all the awesome grub you throw down with yours before I have to give in! :)

@R2Egg2Q: that's exactly where I'm going with this. Why do you think yesterday was pizza day? :) Will be out of town next week and weekend, so I had to get things done yesterday. It was absolutely horrible - bright sunny spring day, birds chirping, the smell of charcoal and barbecue in the air... sheer torture I tell ya.

@JohnInCarolina: The Maple Pecan Porter is wonderful. I prefer higher spec grav brews anyways, and this one has a nice hint of maple to it to smoothen it out. It is part of the Spring Thaw Variety Pack, so get it while you can. The others in that sampler are Double Agent IPA, Alpine Spring Ale and Boston Lager. The IPA was alright, as was the Spring Ale. The Boston Lager is like kissing your sister after you've had the others.

@Alton: The Doublewood is very nice. Beautiful hue and deeper color than the 15yo I have open now as well, I think it beats the 15yo IMO. The flavor is richer and more complex. Poetry in a bottle. 

@Central_Bama_Egger: Biscuits on a weekend morning are one of my favs. I'll trade you a pie for some biscuits any time. 

• caliking
    @Bham_egger: Tandoori is a style of Southwest (maybe even Central) Asian cooking... similar to how one says dutch oven cooking - it refers to the cooker being used, but doesn't really dictate what spices or recipe you need to use. A tandoor in India or Pakistan is a cylindrical, somewhat bell shaped clay cooker with an intake at the bottom and a wide open mouth at the top for the exhaust. Meats are skewered and lowered into the cooker to sear and cook vertically. This style of cooking is pretty quick (tandoors can get mucho hot - 800F+). The first time I saw an Egg, I immediately thought of how it would work great as a tandoor,because many of the design principles are shared. 

I built a tandoor a few years ago, and while the Egg works well for tandoori style cooking, it doesn't beat my tandoor. It is however easier and more convenient to cook tandoori food in the egg. Have yet to figure out how to do naans in the Egg, and I think Chubbs has already dialed that in. Also, Rich_FL (I think that is his handle) and Canugghead have some great tandoori posts on this forum as well. When I'm in the mood for something different, I will grind my own spice mix, but if I'm trying to put something together quickly I'll use Shan Masala mix with added yogurt, ginger and garlic paste, and a little mayonnaise for self-basting.Shan Masala mixes are available in most Indian/Pakistani grocers, and even at my local Kroger.

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688

Wow! Nice cook. Next time you decide to cook like this just let me know and I'll be right over

:))

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Wow, way to raise the stakes on a day of cooking, love the opener on the small.
    You are an inspiration! Looking forward to warmer weather and a day of cooking like this
    GREAT JOB!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    @caliking I just finished a bottle of their 14yr Caribbean cask. It was incredible
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • fasst1
    fasst1 Posts: 7
    Double wood is one of my favorites. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    love the beer opener....great cook
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    @RAC: bring the scotch and your invitation practically writes itself :)

@SmokinDAWG82: Thanks! Nothing beats cooking outside on a nice day in my books. 

@Alton: I have not had a chance to sample that one yet, but its on the list. I really like the concept and flavor of finishing in a different cask.

@fasst1: yep the Double wood is one of mine too. I keep coming back to it after trying others. Although the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition I had recently was beautiful.

@henapple: Thanks!

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Holy smokes!  Do those two eggs turn on multi colored lights and dance for you when it gets dark?  What a setup you have there.  Excellent looking cook!  Interested in your tandoori setup there.  Where did you get those skewers?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• caliking
    @r270ba: I got those for a few bucks each at middle eastern grocer locally. Steve Raichlen has some available on Amazon. I like the wider ones because food does not spin on them. I homebrewed some 1/2" ones a while back, but the ones I have now are my favs for the egg since the dome closes without much of a gap on them. 

• r270ba
    Cool. Do you have the 3/8 inch?
    Anderson, SC

• caliking
    The ones I have now are about 1". My homebrewed ones are about 1/2" I think. They work pretty well too. I bought the steel bar at Lowes - comes in 4' lengths, so i bought 2 to make 4 skewers. Cut at angle to make piercing meat easier.

• r270ba
    Cool. Might have some steel lying around the shop to make my own too. Will check it out tomorrow.
    Anderson, SC