Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Logger's Rex

Started with a 1 7/8" thick Prime Rib Eye from a local butcher.
Poured a generous amount of Low Sodium Kikkoman Soy Sauce and Montreal Steak Seasoning and brought to room temperature.

Setup the XL with a Craycort Cast Iron Grate  (4 - 90° Grates) put one right on top of the coals.
Another one up on the Craycort Grid.  This allows me to sear really hot and then rest, then finish the steak without having to aggressively cool the egg.

Sprayed the grate with Pam and threw that bad boy on for 20 seconds.  Turned 90° for another 20 seconds.

Turned it over and repeated the process.

Took it off for a 5 minute rest and closed in the egg to start bringing the temperature down a bit.

Place steak on the upper grid for about 7 more minutes or so until the Maverick read 125°

Let rest 7 minutes because that's all we could stand...sorry it's the truth. And, plated.  I wanted to use real plates but, the wife told me I would have to
do the washing and drying so....Ok, paper is good with me too.

Almost forgot to take the last picture...Almost too late as well.
OKC area  XL - Medium
·

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 6,206
    Well played sir!!!
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,905
    That looks good! =P~

I've been looking at the craycort for my small, where its just two half pieces. How do you like it?
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • LoggerLogger Posts: 232
    Thanks All,

Solson005 said:
    That looks good! =P~ I've been looking at the craycort for my small, where its just two half pieces. How do you like it?
    It's great for steaks and anything you want to put sear marks on but, I finally found a plastic tub that all 4 grates fit into so that I can try to keep them seasoned. One of my grates broke in half but, I rarely need all 4.  Leaving one or two out allows me to stir and or move the coals around to my liking or to turn the grid that holds the grates to where I want to cook.
    As with any cast iron components, I always clean, spray, and then let cool before putting up.
    OKC area  XL - Medium
    ·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 431
    Very nice ^:)^
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Exxxxcellent!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519
    Nice sear marks on the steak. =D>

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·