Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sauce for pizza ideas.

mtasker
mtasker Posts: 88
edited September 2012 in Baking
i have leftover chicken fajita meat and peppers and onions.  want to make a pizza, just not sure what kind of sauce to use.  red, white, or neither?  any ideas?

Comments

• Funny you should ask, not really pizza, but a few weeks ago after some ABTs, my wife took a couple of 10" tortillas, covered one with mango/peach salsa, the other with regular medium hot salsa and then spread the leftover fajita fixings over the top, with some jack cheese. I threw them on indirect for about 10 minutes on a cold pizza stone, that way the tortilla didn't burn, two was about all we could do without cooling the stone. Served with a spoon of sour cream on top. Don't see why this wouldn't taste good with a real pizza crust and maybe mozza.......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I think I'd spread a little enchilada sauce on the dough, layer on the meat, peppers and onions and then top with some cheddar cheese. 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I use Kinders roasted garlic bbq sauce on my pizzas. Made one last night with some pulled pork, onions & hot peppers. Mmmm good.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Can't remember the brand right now, but I bought an off the shelf roasted poblano Alfredo sauce and put it on a pizza with chicken and my own roasted poblanos and it was awesome.
  • I have used ranch dressing......
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • My go-to "sauce" is minced garlic and olive oil.  I heat it up just a tiny bit to infuse the olive oil with the garlic.  I make enough to brush all over the dough, edges too.  If I don't use garlic and olive oil, I use a basil pesto.  

I think the simple garlic and olive oil would be great with a chicken fajita pizza.  Add the cheese and then the fajita toppings...

....now I want pizza for breakfast! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    We had BGE pizza night a few weeks ago and my son made a BBQ chicken pizza topped with caramelized onions and some mozzarella.  Some considered it the best pie of the night.  He used a regular store bought BBQ sauce.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Mtasker... This is the sauce I use on pizza. INGREDIENTS • 1 can (28 oz. / 828 g) crushed or ground to- matoes. You can also use canned whole Italian plum tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato puree, or tomato sauce. • 1⁄2 tablespoon (7.4 g) red wine vinegar • 1⁄4 (1.25 g) teaspoon ground black pepper • 1 teaspoon (5 g) dried basil (optional) • 1⁄2 teaspoon (2.5 g) dried oregano (optional) • 1⁄2 teaspoon (2.5 g) granulated garlic powder (optional) • water, as needed • salt, to taste PROCEDURE 1. If using crushed, ground, or tomato sauce or pu- ree, use a mixing bowl and whisk; if using whole or diced tomatoes, use a food processor. Add to- gether all the ingredients, except the water and salt, and whisk or process to make a smooth sauce. 2. Taste and adjust by adding enough water to make a slightly thick, easily spreadable sauce, as shown in the video. Adjust the salt, whisking it in, to taste. The sauce can be used immedi- ately, but it will thicken slightly as it sits. 3. Store any leftover sauce in a container with a lid. This sauce will keep for up to 10 days in the refrigerator or for three months in the freezer.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    BBQ SAUCE!!! :))
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    I agree with @Hog Heaven (I use basic garlic/crushed tomato pizza sauce on everything) that tomato sauce is best.  One addition I would do is maybe a dash or two of cumin to taste (on the pizza itself) to get it into the flavor profile for chicken fajitas.  Bon Appetit!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    For my summer pizzas I pour 1/4 cup olive oil into the mortar, add 2 cloves garlic, italian herbs, a pinch of chile flakes and sometimes an anchovy.  Beat it all up with your pestle, and drizzle on the pizza.
    I don't normally put chicken on my summer pies, but I don't think the above sauce would suck with it... 
    :-bd

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I have used pesto sauce, goat cheese, Boursin cheese, spiced up mayo, olive oil and garlic, and barbecue sauce or anything else you might use on a sandwich. Variety is the spice of life. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I use salsa quite a bit along with Q sauce on the toppings.  Olive oil and garlic as Kristi mentions if I'm doing a vegan cook-of course the veges are garlic, onion and jalapenos.  :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    With chicken i only like bbq. My favorite is sweet baby rays. My go to pizza is ck sbr bbq sauce and red onion on a 50/50 whole wheat/bread flour mix. Little mozzarella cheese and good to go.