Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First butt

I am going to cook my first butt for my sons birthday party on Saturday. This will be my first long cook. Looking for any input as to what the best way is. Low and slow or nitro. Also what lump to use, I have some BGE, WGWW, B&B oak or Harris teeter. Also may try to stop at the orchard up the street to see if I can get a few peach tree chunks as they just trimmed some trees. I have seen where it is discussed to leave the butt in the fridge overnight uncovered to get tacky, why? The butt weighs 15 lbs any idea of how long it would take, the party is at noon Saturday and I won't be home until tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I'm not a pro by any means, but my butts have turned out amazing, in my opinion. I go traditional and sacrifice time for good bark and smokiness. 225-250, indirect, ne'er in foil. WGWW for longer cooks every time. Plan on 1.5-2 hrs per lb of meat, kick back and enjoy the ride. I'd cut the 15 lb butt in half, have more bark and cut a little time off the cook, though. My best pulled pork has come from 7-10 lb butts. If you cut it in half, you can expect 16-18 hrs for the cook, have time to FTC and then pull just prior to eating.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I agree with @Mayberry on cutting it in half, here is my post for two 8 lb pone in pork butts. Pulled Pork one day / Carnitas the next I really enjoyed the results, its low and slow but well worth the effort. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    If it is a cryovac pack it may already be two in there. Cook it at 250 GRATE temp. Still low m slow but not at 250 dome. It will save you some time but still allow you to get a better bark than nitro. Personally I think low n slow is the most fun cook. Fruit woods are great. Throw some dry rub, then a layer of mustard, then more rub. Enjoy
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I concur with Mayberry for what it's worth.
    Dunedin, FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You can't put too much rub on....better bark.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I prefer slow. 15 to 18 hrs, but I try to go by I.T. of around 190 to 200 more than time, if it gets done early,  just wrap in foil and towel,  and put in a cooler.  Plus its awesome to get up in the morning and check out the meat. This seems to work for me. 
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    +1 on the low and slow...better bark and more gratification imho
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Thanks to everyone they are going on in a few min.
  • Firemanyz
    They went on at 2015 @260 hope all goes well and ill post a picture in the morning.
  • Firemanyz
    At 0330 temp had dropped. I took everything out and found the coals had burned down and back. There was still plenty of fuel left in the egg so I stirred the coals and brought it back up to temp. Guess ill get another hour and a half of sleep and check it again. Going to fall asleep with my toes crossed. I think looking into my crystal ball there may be a tempature controller in my near future.
  • Jwright11
    Jwright11 Posts: 35
    Fireman same thing happened to me. My last cook I finally got it and egg went for 22 hours without touching. The things I read and tried we're all about stacking your lump largest on bottom smallest on top. Light on very top of lump. The naked whiz website has an article on it to. Good luck.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Sooooooo,  how did it turn out?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Firemanyz
    The first one was on for 14 hours. The second cooked for 16. Overall very good. Not a lot of smoke flavor, when I needed to play with the coals at 0330 I noticed that most of the peach chunks I had put in had not burned yet. I think at that point the meat was not going to take any more smoke. But overall I was happy and I know everyone who ate it was happy. So I guess I won. Now time to plan for a brisket cook. Ps the pic is the second one getting ready to come off.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    That's a good looking bark!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Firemanyz
    Thanks I just used Mcormicks BBQ seasoning Dijon mustard then more BBQ seasoning. Should have added some sugar to the seasoning, as it had a strong paprika taste. But I just ate another sandwich and it was yummy.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Mayberry said:

I'm not a pro by any means, but my butts have turned out amazing, in my opinion. I go traditional and sacrifice time for good bark and smokiness. 225-250, indirect, ne'er in foil. WGWW for longer cooks every time. Plan on 1.5-2 hrs per lb of meat, kick back and enjoy the ride. I'd cut the 15 lb butt in half, have more bark and cut a little time off the cook, though. My best pulled pork has come from 7-10 lb butts. If you cut it in half, you can expect 16-18 hrs for the cook, have time to FTC and then pull just prior to eating.

I think this is right on. Had a #7 put on 7pm last night. Came off at 11 am. 225-250 dome. No wrap. Then off into foil to sit in the cooler. Mix of dizzy pig and brown sugar for the rub. I now turn these out without a hitch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    1. Rinse and trim fat
    2. Rub a little with your favorite
    (optional: let it sit in fridge/marinade wrapped in plastic wrap 2-20 hours)
    3. Squirt and rub some mustard on (or other binder)
    4. Put lots more rub
    5. Put on egg (indirect) with water pan underneath at 250 with blue smoke
    (wood types: hickory, pecan, cherry, oak, apple, or w/e.  We don't like peach)
    (optional: can use texas crutch to speed it up)
    6. Keep stable temp and cook until 195-200 internal temp.
    7. Take off and pull. I would slice money muscle and have some bigger chunks in addition to regular pulled.  Bear claws, Meatrake, or 2 forks work for this.  Can also squirt some sauce in there if that's your thing.  We like more rub and some vinegar sauce.