Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stew

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
I can't search the forum on my Droid. I need a good beef stew recipe. I can't get it on the egg till around noon and would like to eat at 6. should i use a London broil cut? Thanks.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I myself do not have a recipe but that sounds good to use. Kind of an up scale stew. Maybe add a little extra beef flavor for a stew.   

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    This is Hapster's Guiness Beef Stew which I have tried 2x and both times great:
    2lbs stew meat  ( I prefer chuck roast)2lbs little red potatoes  ( I omitted and served on mashed potatoes)1 large onion chopped1/2 a bag of the baby carrots (cut them in half)1 cup of flour? of your favorite rubcanola oil1-1/3 cup of beef broth1 can of Guinness (may add more if additional liquid is needed)1 packet of McCormick's Beef Stew Seasoning  ( I omitted)1 can of peas1 heaping tablespoon of minced garlicSalt & Fresh Ground Pepper to tasteHeat the DO direct over a 350 - 400 dome temp fire... I use Wicked Good Weekend Warrior with 3 chunks of Mesquite.In a freezer bag, combine the flour and as much rub of your choice to taste.Add the meat and shake to thoroughly coat the beef.Once coated, heat some oil in the DO and brown the meat... stirring a couple of times. When pretty browned, remove beef and add some more oil.Add the onions and carrots to the pan along with a tablespoon of minced garlic. Stir occasionally and when the vegs are tender, add the seasoning packet and broth. Stir it around and be sure to loosen any stuck on goodness...Add the beef back to the DO and place the potatoes in as well and stir to mix and coat everything.Add the can of Guinness...Let it simmer, stirring occasionally for about 1-1/4 hours with the top off. Once the potatoes are tender; add the peas and stir it to mix and let it cook for another 15 mins, season to taste with salt (kosher) and ground black pepper, and then pull it off and serve....Powered by Recipage
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    The above format is off but see his blog. I used red wine once instead of beer and it was fine.  Like I said above,  I omitted potatoes and served on mashed potatoes-rice would work as well
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I do one with nothing but sauteed onions, beef dredged in flour, beef stock and full or sour cream. Garlic, thyme and parsley etc.

Steve 

Caledon, ON