Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Corned beef - make my own

IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
Going to make my own corned beef this year - from a nice packer brisket. I have Charcuterie recipe, any other suggestions welcome.
·

Comments

• Where are you going to get the meat? I've asked all over wher I live and can't find it
    Charlotte, nc
    ·
  • I plan on doing the same but was planning on just using a flat, any particular reason why you are going to use a Packer?
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    My butcher has it. I have always been a fan of the deckle. And it flavors the cabbage so well.
    ·
  • Umm I know I'm going to regret asking this, but...whats a deckle?  Is that like a dekfer?
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
    Like a dickfour.
    ·
    Two parts of a packer brisket, flat and deckle. Deckle thicker, fattier (and tastier in my opinion). You could actually take a knife and separate the two pieces - just fat connecting them.
    ·
    Someone did a real cool diagram and cut drawing of one a few weeks back. Can't recall who though.
    ·

Where are you going to get the meat? I've asked all over wher I live and can't find it

Where do you live? Do you have a town butcher? Actually my Wallmart carries full packer briskets. Big sure the quality though.
    ·
    Brine made with all spices. Pickling spice made etc... Letting the bring cool to room temperature and the the packer goes in for five days. We shall see.
    ·
  • Found this old thread about the deckle. Not the same as the point, apparently. Nice explanation by Thirdeye. 

XL BGE w/CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    North Tahoe, CA
    ·
  • I bought a packed corned beef today... have some questions.

Preferred wood to smoke with?

Cook to 180 internal?

Grid temp?

If I cook this thing like a regular brisket... it would be @225, pulled at 190, over pecan wood.

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated!

BOOMER!
    ·
    Found this old thread about the deckle. Not the same as the point, apparently. Nice explanation by Thirdeye. 

I stand corrected - thx
    ·
    So brining complete - nice and pink. Looking to potentially cook this weekend.
    image.jpg 2.1M
    ·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    Umm I know I'm going to regret asking this, but...whats a deckle?  Is that like a dekfer?
    The deckle is also called the "point".
    ·
    Deckhand said:

Umm I know I'm going to regret asking this, but...whats a deckle?  Is that like a dekfer?

The deckle is also called the "point".

That is what I thought, but north showed me otherwise.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,346
    Solid, Irish. Where you been? What did you think about Manti at the combine.

Corned beef is on my short list.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • You inspired me and I found one at SAMs on Saturday. Not bad but needed to cook a little longer than 4 hrs
    image.jpg 2.2M
    Charlotte, nc
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,455
    No help to you Devil, but I've found two recipes;

http://ruhlman.com/2010/03/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own/
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/home_cured_corned_beef/

My Irish wife has always believed that corned beef is always simmerd for hours in water.  Nothing else.  Same with the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage.  Is there an alternative technique that can convince her boiling is bad?  I'm going to have an uphill battle on this one, but I'm willing to try.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
    Chubbs said:
    Solid, Irish. Where you been? What did you think about Manti at the combine. Corned beef is on my short list.

Hey man, been sort of bouncing on here back and forth.  Manti looked less than impressive at the combines.  And will be less then impressive in the NFL, how the mighty have fallen. 
    ·
    500 said:
    No help to you Devil, but I've found two recipes;

http://ruhlman.com/2010/03/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own/
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/home_cured_corned_beef/

My Irish wife has always believed that corned beef is always simmerd for hours in water.  Nothing else.  Same with the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage.  Is there an alternative technique that can convince her boiling is bad?  I'm going to have an uphill battle on this one, but I'm willing to try.
    I am also a big believer in boiling, but mostly because after the CB is cooked I use the water to make the cabbage and potatoes.  Nothing better than cabbage that has been flavored from corned beef, absolutely love it and can eat all day long.  I have seen some put in crock pot, I am also going to do a pastrami on the egg.  Good for the heart
    ·

You inspired me and I found one at SAMs on Saturday. Not bad but needed to cook a little longer than 4 hrs

You can never overlook, but can always undercook.
    ·
  • IrishDevl said,

"Nothing better than cabbage that has been flavored from corned beef, absolutely love it and can eat all day long."

I'd  have to have dual catalytic convertors installed after a meal like that. LOL

See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
    This is my test run corned beef from a packer brisket. Going to cook it now and see how it comes out. Have a birthday for my son and every year I make corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and other stuff. Going to go buy 5 packer briskets from my butcher and make CB and I think I will also make a pastrami.
    ·

IrishDevl said,

"Nothing better than cabbage that has been flavored from corned beef, absolutely love it and can eat all day long."

I'd  have to have dual catalytic convertors installed after a meal like that. LOL

The trumpet section of a college band.
    ·
    Corned beef a big success. Will make from scratch again. Reviews were that it is much better than if bought pre-corned from a store.
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,455
    @IrishDevl, care to share your technique and tips for the corned beef?
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
    @500, sure. I used Charcuterie recipe to a tee and created my own pickling spice according to optional recipe as well. I let the brine cool, and put the packer brisket in submerged for 5 days. Removed, rinsed and boiled with more pickling spice (be sure to keep the pickling inside something so you can use the water later for cabbage and potatoes). I let it cook for about 4 hours, but real test was sticking aerial skewer through with ease. Remove, trim and cut. Boiled cabbage in water and them potatoes. When I wanted to eat I put corned beef in a pan, with the water I boiled, covered and cooked at 350 for 45 minutes. Pulled and enjoy.
    ·
    I can give Ruhlman recipe if you don't have it.
    ·
    Aerial should be metal. Spellcheck pain.
    ·