Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help

Options
Is this piece of peach wood too big/too much? I am smoking two 8 lbs butts for noon tomorrow. What temp should I shoot for to have them done in time to have a rest before pulling? I am using WGWW. Any other last min words of encouragement would be great. This will be my first overnight cook. I have my fingers crossed. The peach is about 14 inches long and 2 inches in diameter a have an xl egg. Thanks to all who can reply.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Peach is pretty mild and butts can take a lot of smoke. Think you will be ok. With WW lump you need to make sure it is well lit and stable temps for at least an hour, I would go two if you have time, before you put the meat on. Good luck!. I do butts at 250* and allow 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Sounds like you should be alright with a "low and slow"  -  220 to 250 degrees - timewise!  And you can always hold it in the rest period for more time if you need it ??
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Cut it up into 2-3 inch segments

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    What should my dome temp be if I want a grate temp of 250.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The whole dome grate thing only applies to the first hour or so. You will be cooking long enough that they will equalise. Go for 250 or 275. Lots of folks are doing them hotter and foiling now. I haven't tried it but some serious cooks are doing it and raving about it. Search turbo butts if you are interested

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited March 2013
    Options
    As LS says-any temperature (if measured by an accurate thermo) is a measure of what is happening inside the BGE.  Dome/grate/DFMT/hinge area etc temp is just a point of reference.  FWIW-almost all temps mentioned here are dome (as that is the one thermo all BGE's have) unless said otherwise.  That said, the higher the temperature (by whatever measurement) the shorter the cook time. As you know, foil can speed the cook along with raising the cook temperature if things are behind schedule.  Start your cook early and plan to finish 2-3 hours before serving time.  If they actually finish early then use the foil, towels and cooler (FTC) to hold til ready to pull.  And each butt will finish at its own pace and can be several hours different than the other.  Enjoy the journey-it's the best part.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.