Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-Bone Steak on the MINI

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

....that didn't really happen cuz I didn't take any pictures. :(

Kinda been a crappy last couple weeks at work. I run a pretty expensive machine at work that is very tempermental. Dyal knows what it is and I think NOLA does, too. It's been down for just over 2 weeks now. The leading expert in the country has been working on it just about every day and we haven't had any luck getting it back up. Went for a marathon run on it yesterday and finally got it working. Got home almost 3 hours later than normal and poured a nice stiff bourbon to celebrate.

Little bit later on, got the MINI fired up and going. Honestly didn't look at the therm, just noticed it had a nice glowing bed of coals (guessing 600 range). Threw the t-bone (which was just about a porterhouse really, probably a good 1.25" thick) on and it barely fit and dropped my Lodge Bacon press on top of it. Let it go 1 mintue, 90 degree turn, 1 minute, flip, 1 minute 90 degree turn, then pulled it off (times were estimates). Inserted the MINI Woo, shut the vents down some and threw it back on there for a few more minutes, pulled it and let it rest.

Probably the best steak I've ever cooked. And it looked darn pretty, too!! (which my steaks usually don't) And I didn't get a picture of it!! :( And I wasn't paying attention to tempertature or time and will probably never cook another one as good.

Served it up with some baked taters, a salad, some 'shrooms that Mrs. G sauteed and a bottle of Apothic Red. Good eats for sure.

On a side note, Mrs. G was shocked that I didn't get the camera out and I wasn't taking pictures and she didn't have to wait for a plated up pics. I told her I just wanted to relax, cook a good meal and spend some quality time with her. She gave me a big smile and a hug and it was worth it, even if I catch some hell for not having pictures. ;)  Maybe I'll cook something this weekend and get some pictures although Mrs. G said she's craving some Mexican food. Gotta keep the lil lady happy.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Wow. Sounds like you scored some major points with the ol lady, with something that didn't even happen! :) Just kidding. Sometimes a simple meal, with the one(s) you love is the reason why we do all of this in the first place.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Those are my favorite cooks - the ones I just cook.  I call it Kitchen Therapy, and it sounds like that is exactly what the doctor ordered. 

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • If I called Wilma the "lil lady", I'm sure she would help me try on a new hat... Manufactured by Lodge!
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

If I called Wilma the "lil lady", I'm sure she would help me try on a new hat... Manufactured by Lodge!

You don't call her "big un" do you?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    He does if he's this guy..... 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Griff, was hoping for pics, but when I read your post glad you didn't. Glad your wife is home. Hope work gets better.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024

Your imaginary steak sounds deeeelicious!   :D   I made some imaginary bacon cheeseburgers last night too, that I also didn't take pix of.  I figured I posted enough of those by now.  :)  Been a long week for me too...Put in my 40 hours by yesterday, so I got today off.  I was thinking about cruising through the meat department here in a little bit, hoping to get some inspiration on what to egg up this weekend. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013

I hate photobucket

I hate photobucket

I hate photobucket

I hate photobucket

I hate photobucket

I hate photobucket

I hate photobucket

I hate photobucket

I hate photobucket

I hate photobucket

I hate photobucket

I hate photobucket

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin

@Dyal_SC - I'm almost at 40, will be by the time I leave work. I'm trying to rack up some extra comp time. I figure/hope I'll need it at the end of the year. Gonna leave soon and hit the gun range on the way home.

@Mickey - so you're saying you don't like photobucket?

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Griffin said:

@Dyal_SC - I'm almost at 40, will be by the time I leave work. I'm trying to rack up some extra comp time. I figure/hope I'll need it at the end of the year. Gonna leave soon and hit the gun range on the way home.

@Mickey - so you're saying you don't like photobucket?

I believe @Mickey was saying this:

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

Need pictures ----------------------   of the machine, not the egg !!!???

• Griffin

You want pictures of the machine? Here is it, an ICP-MS (Inductively couple plasma mass spectrometer)image

Rowlett, Texas

• Charlie tuna
    Well, it looks like it'll fit in the back of a pick up??  Probably operate off regular house power!  You could operate this for a while, then get out on the porch to check the temperatures on the butts!!  Every once in a while, send a butt back to your office !!  They will love it... 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Griff, what does that thing do? Draw plasma?

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited March 2013

Both my daughter work in hospital laboratories.  They say all their machines are cranky, and when they get a plip they have to go through an hour long calibration cycle.

We are close to the tipping point where we work for the machines

^:)^

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I've been jonesing for a T-Bone for about 6 months....wife doesn't like 'em so I gotta find time to sneak one in when she's not around......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv said:

I've been jonesing for a T-Bone for about 6 months....wife doesn't like 'em so I gotta find time to sneak one in when she's not around......

t
    Tom, I gotta ask. How can she dislike T-bones? That's messed up!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey

t
    Tom, I gotta ask. How can she dislike T-bones? That's messed up!
    Fred my wife is the same way. She only wants serloin for health reasons.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited March 2013

8-} I hate photobucket :((

• I get the health reasons. It's the defective taste buds I find as hard to swallow as a 2 bit steak! Heh, heh heh!
    Flint, Michigan
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    tjv said:

t
    my wife will eat bone in chicken, ribs etc. but steak no way filet only and it better be a good one if that.  i feel your pain.
  • Mickey
    Wife out of town for this one. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    my mind is blown.... title says tbones on the mini and zero pics... except mickey, he'll pimp out a picture of a mini anyday

XLBGE 
  • my mind is blown.... title says tbones on the mini and zero pics... except mickey, he'll pimp out a picture of a mini anyday
    Gotta love him for that!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Griffin
    Chubbs said:

Griff, what does that thing do? Draw plasma?

Simplified explanation - it tests for metals in liquid samples. We are only looking for silver, arsenic, cadmium, chromium, copper, molybdenum, nickel, lead and zinc in parts per billion. I'm basically trying to bust industries who are illegally dumping those metals in quantities above which they are permitted.

Rowlett, Texas

• Charlie tuna
    My guess is you are finding many companies illegal then?
  • Griffin
    Not as many as you'd think.

Rowlett, Texas