Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Rub for a boneless turkey breast

Grabbed a 3lb. Butterball boneless turkey breast to throw on the Egg tonight. Any suggestions on the rub? I'll have access to a DP dealer this afternoon. I'm fixin' to cook it 350 raised indirect and plan to use mesquite chunks to augment the flavor.. As always, any suggestion would be appreciated.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468

I like 375/400 "direct" and raised on turkey. Here is the rub I use. Also I like a little cherry and pecan wood for smoke........very little...

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 685
    How long on direct? I cook to temp. Looking at a ballpark time. And do you coat with anything before the rub (mustard or olive oil)?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • eggerbbqeggerbbq Posts: 27
    My favorite:

Olive oil all over. Rub:

1/4 cup sugar
    1 Tbsp Lawry's
    1 Tbsp garlic salt
    1 Tbsp celery salt
    1 Tbsp onion salt
    2 Tbsp paprika
    1 Tbsp chili powder
    1 Tbsp lemon pepper
    2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp sage
    1/4 tsp mustard powder
    1/4 tsp thyme
    1/4 tsp cayenne

On grill at 225-250 for about three-four hours, depending on size of turkey breast.
    ·