Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting ready for my first ribs

Options
SmokingInMO
SmokingInMO Posts: 169
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well it's 7:45 and I am all giddy about making my first ribs, I plan on using the 3.1.1 method so I am feeling confident. I pulled the membrane last night and gave them a good rub, I do have a question though. I have one rack of baby backs and one half rack of counrty style ribs. The country style ribs are obviously much thicker, do I need to put them on the egg sooner? If they do need to go on sooner, how much sooner?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    SmokingInMO,[p]Half rack of country ribs? Usually country ribs are strips cut from a butt, about 1" square, no bone, and a vein of fat. What are yoau referring to?[p]PS A good day for ribs, I'm going to do some myself today.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • SmokingInMO
    Options
    thirdeye,
    The country ribs I purchased are about 1 inch wide per rib and there are about 4 or 5 of them in the rack. A little bit of bone on one side, the rest is meat and they do each have a decent vein of fat. I am thinking these may need to be on the egg about an hour before the baby backs but I am not sure. Tons more meat on them.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    SmokingInMO,
    Country ribs are done differently than spare or back ribs. You might like to check out Nature Boy's recipe on www.dizzypigbbq.com for how he does them. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • SmokingInMO
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Cool thanks I will check it out

• Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    I'm doing my first 3-1-1 ribs today. What do most put into the foil for that hour, apple juice?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    SmokingInMO,[p]Sometimes names are confusing and are not the same in different parts of the country.....OK, if your ribs don't look like the ones on the Dizzy site, (which are cut from a butt, blade end), you could have a country rack cut from a bone-in pork loin. They are usually cut and packaged between 3 & 6 ribs. These are baby backs with the loin meat still intact. You can use barbecue temps, just don't overcook. Mopping can help also if you barbecue them. Higher grilling temps & shorter times may work better since the meat is a leaner, more tender cut.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    More searching turns up more info....

So, nothing with the ribs in the foil stage?
  • SmokingInMO
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks for the advise, I'll post pictures tonight after it is all done.