Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second Pork Butt: looking for some advice

Options
Planning to do my second pork butt tomorrow as we'll be celebrating my father's 70th birthday.  Last time I followed the recipe listed here:

I was reasonably happy with the way it turned out, except for a few things.  Mainly it was quite a bit saltier than I was used to.  

One option is to back off the salt in the recipe, but I'm also up for trying one of the other rubs I have.  I have a few of the Dizzy Pig ones - the Cowlick Steak, the Dizzy Dust, Raging River, and Tsunami Spin.  I also have a batch of Adams Rib Rub.   Anyone tried any of these on a pork butt with success?

I have a 7.5-lb butt, and I want to target about a 9-hr cook (egg time).  I kind of did a turbo butt last time, cooking at 300, which took a little more than 6 hrs.  Cooking lower (225 to 250) is probably going to take a bit too long.  One option would be to start at that temp and then kick it up to 300 about halfway through, but if folks here have thoughts on this and the rub, I'd really appreciate it.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• CigarSmokinEgger
    Options

Most times I like to do mine "Lexington" style which is just salt then using a red-vinegar sauce when pulled.

I have had good luck though using this recipe also:

1T paprika

2t brown sugar

1.5t hot paprika

1/2t celery salt

1/2t garlic salt

1/2t dry mustard

1/2t black pepper

1/2t onion powder

1/4t salt

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Can't go wrong with the Dizzy Dust.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    If you have the Dizzy already I would use that.  I bought some just to see what all the fuss was about and it is good.  Don't know that I would buy it again because I feel like my rub is just as good.  However...you definitely can't go wrong with it!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• r270ba
    Options
    By the way...which Carolina and where?  I am Anderson SC here.
    Anderson, SC

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    r270ba said:
    You mean there's another Carolina? :)

I'm in Durham, NC.  
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I use Dizzy Dust also. However about 175 internal or 180 I wrap mine in foil then cook to 200  to 205. Before I foil it add more dizzy dust and honey on the foil . Set meat side on honey and rub then wrap good. I also add Apple wood chips before I start the lump. I let it get to 250 and then throw my prepared butt on. if you do not like honey add a bit of brown sugar. I like mine to be a spicy with a hint of sweet flavor.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• r270ba
    Options
    r270ba said:
    You mean there's another Carolina? :)

I'm in Durham, NC.  

:))  We have a lot of friends up in that area.  None of them have Eggs...mind if I come over to eat when I am around (j/k)
    Anderson, SC

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    r270ba said:
    :))  We have a lot of friends up in that area.  None of them have Eggs...mind if I come over to eat when I am around (j/k)
    I'm the only person I know around here with one.  I wouldn't have even had known about the BGEs had it not been for a friend in Atlanta.  

The triangle is not exactly what I would describe as barbecue-central.  
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I like to do pork butts with just salt and pepper, you control how much of each you put on.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    You have to find a rub that your family ;oles -- "overall"!  I started making my own, and too many turned out to be on the "hot" side!!  Settled with something store bought called "Bad Bryon's Butt Rub"..  It goes a long way, don't need a lot on a butt, and isn't too hot.  I inject my butts with Lawry's Teriyaki Marinate, comes store bought in twelve ounce bottle, cost about $3.50.  Your butt will take about half the bottle.  Inject it slow and apply in many spots, but slow so that it doesn't come out the sides of the butt.  Inject before setting up your egg is plenty of time. lightly coate the butt with Bad Bryons Butt Rub. Set the egg for indirect cooking, plate setter- legs up - grid at gasket level.  This turbo style and you want to get as much smoke onto the butt as possible before reaching the 160 degree "wrapping temperature", so you want the lowest temperature during this period -- say 240 degrees.  I use pecan wood on my butts and the family likes it.  Get the egg stabilized -- know what stabilized is before placing the butt on the grill.  You should be able to get two full hours, maybe more(?) of smoke on the open,exposed, meat.  At 160 internal degrees, remove the butt and have the aluminum foil ready to wrap the butt in about three layers of foil.  I place the foil - first cris-crossed, then kiddycorner - takes four sheets of foil -- idea is to get it wrapped so you don't poke a hole in it and loose all the juice from the butt.  Once wrapped back on the same grid setup.  Now depending on the time you want to finish -- raise the cooking temperature to 300 to 330 degrees.  You can go higher for a faster finish time, and include a one hour rest period inside the finish time.  If you have plenty of time go at a lower temperature.  My experience is the slower you can finish the butt, the more moisture you will end up with.  Since it is injected the finish internal temperature is going to be 210 degrees.  When turbo cooking, there is no "stall period", the temperature continues to climb at a steady rate.  So you can get the butt back on the grill, and set it at YOUR desired cooking temperature.  Then once it has been cooking for 30 minutes, determine the rate of increase.  In other works, as soon as the internal temperture increases one degree, mark the time on your watch and figure out how long it takes for one degree rise.  Then figure out how many degrees you need to reach 210 degrees.  Multiply that number by the time it took to reach the single degree-- and that will tell(very close) when the butt will be finished ---  don't forget to allow the butt to rest one hour in a small cooler before serving.  It can be held in the cooler up to five hours without opening the cooler!!  There should be plenty of juice in the foil -- use that to pour over the pulled pork just before serving.  And NO, the butt is not going to taste like Teriyaki --- try it, you WILL like it.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I always slather with yellow mustard then throw the rub on. Cook at 280ish overnight, indirect, fat cap down, no foil, so the bark comes out great. Cooler for 2-4hrs depending on how much time I have. We like to eat pulled pork sliders on Hawaiian bread rolls.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    You have to find a rub that your family ;oles -- "overall"!  I started making my own, and too many turned out to be on the "hot" side!!  Settled with something store bought called "Bad Bryon's Butt Rub"..  It goes a long way, don't need a lot on a butt, and isn't too hot.  I inject my butts with Lawry's Teriyaki Marinate, comes store bought in twelve ounce bottle, cost about $3.50.  Your butt will take about half the bottle.  Inject it slow and apply in many spots, but slow so that it doesn't come out the sides of the butt.  Inject before setting up your egg is plenty of time. lightly coate the butt with Bad Bryons Butt Rub. Set the egg for indirect cooking, plate setter- legs up - grid at gasket level.  This turbo style and you want to get as much smoke onto the butt as possible before reaching the 160 degree "wrapping temperature", so you want the lowest temperature during this period -- say 240 degrees.  I use pecan wood on my butts and the family likes it.  Get the egg stabilized -- know what stabilized is before placing the butt on the grill.  You should be able to get two full hours, maybe more(?) of smoke on the open,exposed, meat.  At 160 internal degrees, remove the butt and have the aluminum foil ready to wrap the butt in about three layers of foil.  I place the foil - first cris-crossed, then kiddycorner - takes four sheets of foil -- idea is to get it wrapped so you don't poke a hole in it and loose all the juice from the butt.  Once wrapped back on the same grid setup.  Now depending on the time you want to finish -- raise the cooking temperature to 300 to 330 degrees.  You can go higher for a faster finish time, and include a one hour rest period inside the finish time.  If you have plenty of time go at a lower temperature.  My experience is the slower you can finish the butt, the more moisture you will end up with.  Since it is injected the finish internal temperature is going to be 210 degrees.  When turbo cooking, there is no "stall period", the temperature continues to climb at a steady rate.  So you can get the butt back on the grill, and set it at YOUR desired cooking temperature.  Then once it has been cooking for 30 minutes, determine the rate of increase.  In other works, as soon as the internal temperture increases one degree, mark the time on your watch and figure out how long it takes for one degree rise.  Then figure out how many degrees you need to reach 210 degrees.  Multiply that number by the time it took to reach the single degree-- and that will tell(very close) when the butt will be finished ---  don't forget to allow the butt to rest one hour in a small cooler before serving.  It can be held in the cooler up to five hours without opening the cooler!!  There should be plenty of juice in the foil -- use that to pour over the pulled pork just before serving.  And NO, the butt is not going to taste like Teriyaki --- try it, you WILL like it.
    Looks great!  I'll definitely give that a try sometime.

Anyone else have any thoughts on my idea to start out at a low temp and then kick it up a notch about halfway through?
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Last butt I did at 250 then kicked it up to 300-25 halfway through the stall.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Another point since you mentioned " kick it up a notch about halfway through?  I have tried to pull and wrap the butts in foil BEFORE that "160 degreemark", and had problems.  Lately, i pulled one at 140 degrees, wrapped and continue as normal to my 210 degree, and the butt didn't pull right -- the outside of the butt would pull, but the center wouldn't ???  There seems to be something critical about that 160 degree figure??
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2013
    Options
    A few weeks ago I did the Nitro method on a 10lb butt. I went indirect at 350ish at the grid and never foiled. It took about 7 1/2 hrs to reach 197 degrees and it never really stalled. The bark was good IMO,it pulled very good & the smoke taste was very moderate because I started at a higher temp which didn't allow for full smoke absorption and the moisture was still very good. I slathered Sriracha sauce and yellow mustard and rubbed with Butt Rub and refrigerated the night before. Next time I will start lower and increase the temp bout half way thru

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Never started low and purposely went higher. I don't think you would have any problem with it though. After cooking them low and slow and Nitro, my thought is you can do them any way you want and they will turn out good. Personally, I don't foil my butt, but that's me cause I think the bark is sacrificed.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I had a great butt that pulled perfectly. Just put it in low (stabilized at 200 actually for a while before I kicked it to 250), then up to about 300 during stall. I only foiled after cook when I put it in the cooler. Man that really turned out good as I'm thinking back on it. Need to do another one soon...
    Dunedin, FL
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Options
    One thing that I like to do is take Italian salad dressing, strain out the chunks, inject the liquid, then add those chunks to the rub that I apply on top of the mustard coating.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! 

I went with the Dizzy Dust for the rub.  One thing I forgot to do was to apply some olive oil first.  It didn't seem to make a big difference - plenty of rub stuck.  I put it in the fridge overnight.

In the morning I got it out, unwrapped it, and applied a bit more rub.  I put it on the egg at 240 (grate) indirect, placesetter with legs up.  Then I didn't touch it until the afternoon.  At about 3pm (so eight hours in) the temp was at 180.  So I kicked it up to 300 grate to finish it off.  When it got to 195 or so (around 5pm) and the Thermopen was just gliding in like it was butter, I pulled it off the egg.  I let it rest for about half an hour before pulling it.

Wife and I both thought it was quite a bit better than my first butt (which was a turbo).  It seemed a lot more moist and it was very easy to pull - just falling apart.  The taste was also quite a bit less salty than my first butt, which was an improvement.  

The only thing less than satisfying to me was the quality of the bark.  It just didn't come out that thick, and the color was closer to a deep red/brown than a black.  Do I just need more rub?  

Sorry no pics! The stuff went fast!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options