Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

brisket and pork shoulder at same time

I'm thinking of trying to slow cook a brisket and pork shoulder at the same time on my large BGE.  Let's assume both are about 7 lbs.  My main question is about expected cooking time.  If we assume that these items generally cook for 1 hour per pound, should I expect that that it will take 7 hours or 14 hours if I'm cooking both at the same time?

Also, any thoughts about set up, or a good sauce recipe that would go with both would be great.  Planning on serving them with cole slaw and homemade biscuits.

Thanks!

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,916

As long as they aren't touching, they will each behave as a stand-alone cook of 7 pounds.  You may have a little extra time involved just for the BGe to get back to the stable temperature after adding so much meat but that should be it for the cook.  At the risk of stating the obvious, make sure your dome thermo is calibrated and don't be surprised if each hunk finishes at a much different time than the other.  Start early and FTC (foil, towels and cooler) to hold if required.  For sauces, there are about as many choices as posters.  I like Bone Suckin' Sauce on the side and let the consumers judge how much to use.

You can google sauce recipe options; just put Big Green Egg in your query and you chould get links to prior posts here.  Enjoy the cook.

Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • My most successful pork sauce was:

in a squeezy bottle:
    50% water
    50% cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
    1 tablespoon brown sugar

Make it a day in advance to let the stuff really emulsify.  
    Make another bottle with no pepper and one with extra and label them hot or mild...

Large BGE -- Greensboro!