Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuna help please.

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have two nice tuna filets marinating in some soy/garlic/ginger/sesame oil/sherry thanks to all of your suggestions. Been marinating an hour.[p]Just got a call from the missuz, and she and the kids are eating at grandmas.[p]Should I cook both the filets, and eat a leftover filet tomorrow?? Or can I pull one out of marinade, wrap and cook tomorrow??? Not sure if the marinade will break it down too far, or change the texture.[p]Thanks for any tips!
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]Cook both and vaccum seal the spare. Reheat slowly in the microwave using low power. If the bag tends to expand, you are cooking it more. It will not be quite as good as fresh cooked, but will be very close.[p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Spin,
    Thank you sir.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Nature Boy,
    I agree...cook it....the sherry would break down the salmon and "cook" it in it's own way, like lemon juice would do to scallops.
    Have you ever had Scallops Ceviche ? It never cooks...the lemon juice just breaks it down in the "marinade" process, and it appears to be cooked when you eat it as an appetizer
    (usually). Anyway, maybe it'll be so good you'll eat two.

• Nature Boy
    BD,
    It was good, but I couldn't even finish one! Like Jerry? said the other day, it is pretty dense. Filet #2 is cooling to room temp b4 I vacuum seal it. [p]The marinade was great, and the 1 clove of garlic I used was plenty. The ginger, sesame oil and soy was the perfect accompaniment. I covered the one I ate with grains of paradise, and tomorrows with black pepper. The GOP was awesome on the tuna.[p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]Lets see, its 9:12pm and it takes me 50 min to drive there - I have had a couple adult beverages - yea, heck I'll just come up and help eat them![p]Well, maybe I shouldn't.[p]Tim :-)
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Nature Boy,
    I always prepare more than we can eat at one serving. You're right; tuna is very filling. I sear it rare, then refrigerate the remains and slice it thin the next day to use on salads or in sandwiches. I think I actually prefer it as a leftover.[p]As another suggestion, sometimes I poach seafood (white fish, scallops, shrimp, whatever) in white wine and chicken stock with sliced fennel, sweet red pepper, onion, garlic, ginger, carrot and soaked bean thread noodles. I sear a piece of yellowfin tuna (coated with grains of paradise) briefly, slice it thin, and lay it as a garnish on top of the soup/stew. Then I sprinkle it with fresh chopped cilantro and drizzle with sriracha. The hot broth cooks the rare tuna a bit more, and it's SO tender and delicious. This is one of our favorite quick fixes.

• Nature Boy
    Gretl,
    Man, you have a way with words.....AND food! Sounds incredible. Glad I did cook that other guy yesterday...looks like cooking time will be limited for a while. My buddy the Fedex man, just brought me a 2 and a half inch thick pile of hardcopy, and a zip disk, that has a couple hundred pages of text, tables, charts to typeset.[p]Nothing like a boatload of work. So much for a slow summer.
    Tuna sammiches for lunch!![p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com