Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Freezing my butt off...

Made you look...

I have a few pounds of pulled pork leftover I want to portion and food saver for freezer. No issues with having sauce mixed with it are there? How do y'all reheat it? Probably use leftovers for nachos, tacos, and pizza.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
·

Comments

• MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I freeze my left over pulled pork in a food saver bag with just a little bit of a vineager based sauce.  I reheat in the food saver bag in hot water.
    ·
  • I've reheated mine in a crockpot on low and added whatever sauce as it warmed up
    Boom
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,947
    MikeP624 said:

I freeze my left over pulled pork in a food saver bag with just a little bit of a vineager based sauce.  I reheat in the food saver bag in hot water.

Exactly what I thought. Thanks Mike.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Have you guys ever had "black beans and rice" with pulled pork on the side???
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,111
    Only issue you could run into is the liquid from the sauce gets pulled into the sealer.  One trick is you can put it in the bag, partially freeze it open, then seal it.  Another easy solution is to just make sure the bag is a little longer than it needs to be, and press the "stop/seal" button before the liquid is pulled all the way to the top. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,111
    Have you guys ever had "black beans and rice" with pulled pork on the side???
    I have not...but it sounds good!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • I basically do exactly what Mike P624 is doing.  If you have more that your pot of hot water will hold, just put it in a roasting pan with some liquid of some sort and seal it with foil.  heat it at 350.  You can do the same thing in a foil pouch.  "Steaming" it results in a very moist dish.
    ·
  • Have you guys ever had "black beans and rice" with pulled pork on the side???
    I have not...but it sounds good!

Kind of like "hoppin john" !!  I will post the recipe for the "black beans and rice" and you can try it with your best "pulled pork"  they really go hand in hand!!! 

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,030

Have you guys ever had "black beans and rice" with pulled pork on the side???

All the time. Congri or moros y Cristianos with lechon asado/pernil is hands down one of the most flavorful meals I've ever had.
    ·
  • And what that be ?

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,030
    Black beans and rice with "pulled" pork. Cuisine originating some 90 miles south of Florida. Apparently Miami, Tampa, Chicago and New York City have enclaves as well. Take a road trip to Calle Ocho in Miami or La Ruta de Lechon in Guavate, Puerto Rico. Get some Morcillas(blood sausage) with some Pique on top. So good.
    ·
  • Been there-done that !!
    ·